Used 2008 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Mini at 50
By Mini at 50 - WOW!!!

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my Super Charged Mini convertible for 1 season and have driven it 14,000 miles as a daily commuter. No problems. Unless you call the attention you get from other drivers a problem. My kids think I'm nuts driving such a small car as a daily driver, but I respond life is short and my Mini convertible makes the daily ride an escape from the grind. Put my computer in the trunk, plug my Ipod into the stereo, and let the wind blow on my scalp (not much hair left). Motor on!

Top opens partially to a sun roof configuration or fully open to a convertible mode.This thing coners like it's on rails and and accelerates with the 6 speed manual very nicely.

Fix the blind spot. Need more dealers as they are few and far between.

2008 JCWorks, Sidewalk special edition
By MINIMAN55

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Head turner, slick styling. The supercharger whine, exhaust note, and g-force experienced when I punch it are addicting, not to mention illegal. Rough ride on bumpy roads but amazing handling and control. The back seat is small (it's a MINI, duh!). Muscle car performance at 28 mpg and I ain't sparing it. For traveling fast and light, whether commuting or having fun, you can't beat it. Leather, stereo, ergonomics are excellent (I'm 6'3"). Automatic climate control works well and doesn't bog the engine at all. Looking up at Civics and Priuses in traffic took some getting used to, but if I don't want to look at them I don't have to - punch it and watch them get smaller.

Performance and handling. The high beams will scorch paint. The stereo sound is awesome. A bag of chips, a bottle of water, and change from my $20 bill after filling up with no-lead primo is pretty cool too.

I'm not sure the ride quality can be improved upon without compromising the handling (not worth it). I would have opted for a 6-disk CD player if it were available. You had better like the CD in the player, be prepared to pull over, or bring a passenger. You will not change a CD on the fly and live.

'08 Cooper Convertible
By Marcel

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

If I was going to buy an economical car, then I wanted a car that is fun to drive. The Cooper convertible is just that. Currently at 34 mpg around town and the 5-spd. is perfect for this car. The car is perfect except for the blind spot when the top is up. This is the rear quarter area, behind the back seat. Tough to see when backing up - however the rear sensors are helpful.

I pod jack, 5 speed, convertible top, seats and fun factor.

16 MPG
By Arzie

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've got 3000 miles on my Mini S convertible and I found out the hard way the marketing in better than the product. I'm getting only 16 mpg, horrible. The exterior styling is great, but the interior is lacking. The cup holders are useless in that they are too close to everything to put other than the smallest cup in it. And that is indicative of the entire vehicle, looks good but doesn't always work and it's usually too small to do the intended job. I thought this would be a great fun car to drive but it seems I'm always driving to the gas station. I had a Toyota before and boy do I miss it.

The convertible roof that opens half- way for a sun roof effect is nice.

Better gas mileage! And better gas mileage.

Total Recall
By Bismark

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini S convertible is a cute and stylish car, with decent power and superior handling, but these are the only positives I can grant it. Ride on 17 inch runflats is appalling (and I have driven track-prep'd cars on the street for years, and ride motorcycles, so I am no 'princess and the pea'). Cannot adjust seats to my liking, knee rubs vs center console constantly. Ergonomics laughable (speedometer is a decoration as it's well out of the driver's vision, window toggles badly placed, climate controls non- intuitive), gearbox vague, rear- visibility non-existent/dangerous. Cute weekend toy car, but non-viable as modern commuter to anyone over the age of 25. Oh, and my mpg? Only 20 avg.

Peppy engine and great handling

See above