Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Fun, but don't get the Turbo
By MartyJ

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my 2007 Cooper S for 2 years and have over 48,000 miles on it. I LOVE to drive it, but I've had several issues with the turbo engine, mostly the turbo itself. It's been replaced twice and I also had to have the valve cover replaced, all under warranty. This is my third Mini, first was an '02 Cooper. Second was an '05 S with the supercharged engine, which I had NO problems with. I would probably still have that one, but a drunk driver took care of that for me! If I were to do it again, I would stick with the base Cooper, unless they bring back the supercharger. Was much more reliable. On top of that, the closest dealer is a 90-minite drive away.

Driving fun, seats, seating position, safety, appearance, handling.

Better engine, turbo needs to be more reliable or go back to the supercharger, better dealer network.

nickel and dime Fun
By chandeau

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving experience is fun fun fun. The reliability is not so fun. There is a design flaw where it won't start in really cold temps. My sunroof won't open when its really hot. I have it in the shop twice to get lights replaced and two other times for minor issues. The seats are great for short trips since they hug you in the seat...but for long trips my lower back aches terribly. Also, the center console opens on its own by merely brushing it with my arm, needs a better closing mechanism. The sunroom screen doesn't block enough sun.

Great looks, performance and handling.

Fix cold weather start issue, better seats for long trips, better center console, improve sunroof screen, better placement of drink holders, more user-friendly computer (need the manual every time there's an issue). In my opinion, if its only two years old, there shouldn't be any issues!

23 Years of BMW
By S_Car_Go

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Between my husband and I we've owned a BMW product since 1986. The Mini is truly a BMW and comes with all the benefits and the drawbacks. BMW is all about what's under the hood - great engine, handling and braking. BMW really doesn't care if your drink fits in the cupholder of if the interior uses materials that makes it look worse than an econo box. After all, you're having too much fun driving to notice! If it's anything like our other BMWs, expect that each visit to the mechanic will be about $1,000 - it will happen enough to be painful but not enough to hate the car. Go to a Mini car club dinner (yes, you women too) to meet other owners and find out the best mechanics, body shop etc

I have the Mellow Yellow with the yellow line interior. Mini has line interior kits if you want a change. Also there are lots of internet sites for all sorts of customization. One of the best features are other Mini owners. Join the Mini club for more driving fun!

Upgrade interior materials. Improve fit and finish.

I like it
By Mini in VA

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Owned my Mini for a year and a half and it's been a real treat. NO problems. Even after 8 years people still crane to look at them, so don't buy one if you don't want to be noticed. Although it is admittedly a toy we have taken in on long trips to the beach in South Carolina and skiing in Vermont and it surprisingly accommodated my wife and I and all our gear. The little thing travels really well and seems the longer you are in the seats the better they get. I do wish they had put an opaque screen on the sunroof as the Virginia summers get boiling hot, but the auto down windows on the remote helps that some. Drinks in the cup holders tend to unintentionally turn on the seat heaters too.

Aux input for mp3 player, mood lighting, distinctive interior and exterior design (that's why we bought it), gas mileage, punch leather seats with seat heaters, quick warm up in winter. Panoramic sunroof is great.

AC struggles in hot weather. Opaque screen for sunroof. Resetting computer for tire warnings is annoying (and yes you will get them if you corner hard or park sideways on much of a hill). Relocate drink holders to the bottom of the doors where there is more room for them.

A blast to drive, even for a tall guy!
By Brian

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The Mini corners like a go-kart and is really fun to drive. I prefer it to my Mercedes 320 Kompressor. I have had absolutely no problems with it. Built 3x more rigid than the average car, and 5***** crash ratin, I feel safer in it than most cars. Get the dual sunroof if possible. Only downside is seeing the stoplights for a 6.6" guy, when the seat is set far back. I get 39.5 mpg 6-speed, the low EPA estimate is a joke!

Dual Sunroof, 2-tone colors (red & white) I-POD interface, heated seats, interior lighting LEDs can be set to different colors. The engine is quick but wonder if I should have bought the S-model. Outstanding resale value after 5 years (Best in US ?). Solid handling & Quiet--well tuned exhaust.

The headlights could be brighter, daytime running lights would be good; I use the standard fog lights.