Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Sell it before the warranty runs out
By iautox1

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

MINI had and had multiple defects that it will not fix.
Bad automatic transmissions.
Bad clutches.
Bad vacuum pumps that can cause the need for a complete engine review.
And the problems I've had: death rattle dieseling.
It's a noise the engine makes on start up.
You can find countless posts on Mini forums on this issue.
The noise is a symtom of the timing chain and tensioner failing.
It usually just costs $1,550 to fix, but the change can jump timing or break causing the valves to contact the pistons and the need for a $8,000 engine replacement.
My was replaced at 20,000 miles and now again at under 70,000 miles.
It began making noise right after it was replaced the first time.

Handles well, get great mileage, but is unreliable, very expensive to fix, and customer service is very poor.

Mini should institute recalls to fix all the various common faults with these cars, but more importantly they should find a permanent fix for these problems rather than leaving them in the current models and alienating more buyers. These are very nice looking, handling, fast cars that are just wholly unreliable.

Timing Chain / Tensioner
By living_dino

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had owned a 2006 MINI Cooper S, and I was one of the first people to buy the second generation of New MINI.
I LOVE the performance and driving experience of both cars.
There are few cars on the road that offer such a great driving experience, with the kind of gas economy that they get.
The first generation MINI was flawless in all respects.
The second generation, at least my year, has a re-occurring timing chain issue.
The technicians keep chaining it up, one year it is the chair, the next it is the tensioner (actually twice), and they they tell me it was an oil leak from the timing chain cover.
I think there is a design flaw, and they won't admit it.
In 4 years, 5 repair incidents.

Driving performance, gas economy, and fit & finish of the car.

Fix this damn timing chain problem. Issue a redesign and recall before there is a class action suit.

Turbo replacement after 45,000 miles....really
By scottyp4

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a cool looking car and a blast to drive but the service at the dealer is awful. We have only 45,000 miles on the car and we have already replaced the tires twice, replaced door locks that broke, and now we need a new turbo and a valve job. They claim it's because we don't change the oil often enough but it's funny that they don't tell you this when you buy the car, they don't tell you this when you bring it in, and they don't contact you (like almost every other high quality car manufacturer) when you are due for maintenance.

Unfortunately, I am on a 1st name basis with the members of the Maintenance Dept.
By cicirenne

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love to drive it but it's in the shop all the time.
I purchased my 2007 MINI COOPER S new in Dec 2007. the car has just passed the warranty period & yet another problem occurred that is not covered under warranty.
I cannot continue to I make monthly payments & pay for repairs too so have decided to search for a new car and trade this one in.
Since I purchased it the driver's side door locking mechanism fell apart, the tensioner has been replaced 2 times, the timing chain replaced, the water pump replaced, the air intake hose & clamps replaced , & the air conditioner fan motor replaced.
It eats oil - I have to put 1 qrt of synthetic oil in it every 2500 miles.

Gas Mileage is wonderful. Fun to drive - especially through the mountains. Compact but can haul quite a lot of stuff - love the hatch. I know it's a silly simple thing but I love the extra sun visor over the Driver's side door - I don't have to continuously swing the visor from the front windshield to the door window & back again.

The Maintenance team at MINI is fantastic - just wish they weren't needed quite so much. When the tensioner gets loose, the check engine light should come on.

Satisfied
By livelifelove77

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my mini for about 3 1/2 years; overall I still love it. I think it is unique and it does everything I need it to do; it just drives fantastic.
Cons: the tires wear out extremely fast. I seriously have to rotate and get two new tires at least twice a year. I don't understand why they wear so fast, since I'm not a crazy driver and have low milage. I feel like my car turns on maintenance lights fairly often, even though it is never turns out to be serious ( airbag, check engine ) Also, after about and hour and a half the seats get very uncomfortable.
Pros: everything else