Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Do Not Ever Buy a Mini
By rc_rasmussen

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

What a fun car to drive!!

What a horrible car to own!!

I've had nothing but maintenance issues with my mini.
It's too bad really, cuz I was such a huge fan for the first 2yrs I owned the car.
Since then though, never again.

I've had all the same issues with the timing chain and tensioner, up to the climax when I was told I would need a new engine at 86k miles.
Cost 8000$.
Mini agreed to help pay for 0!!
I'm now at 98k and the engine has started to seize.
I was extremely dilligent in maintenance.

Other issues include airbag sensors breaking, replacing a water pump at 52k - cost : 1400$.

The kicker - I just finished paying it off 3 months ago....

Save yourself the 24k$

The drive

The entire drivetrain or lengthen the service plan to 100k miles. Give me my 24k back.... or part of it....

Lots of Fun for the Enthusiast
By aburg

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought our S 6spd used in 2010 with 28k on the clock.
We chose a Mini S because we wanted something that got decent MPG was fun to drive and was a little different.
It has fulfilled all of those things and we are extremely happy with it.

We knew that buying a Civic or Corolla would probably be cheaper and more reliable but it would also be a lot more boring.
The Mini has been in the shop now and again but we knew it would probably take some up keep going in.
We bought our Mini used, it still had some factory warranty on it and we added an extended warranty ($1,800) which has turned out to be useful.

The main reason we were drawn to the Mini is the exterior styling, love it. The 6spd manual and turbo is a really fun combo and it handles like a go kart. Really love the panoramic sunroof, and the interior styling. We got one with a higher end interior, some of the base ones felt a little cheap. There are so many custom options when ordering a new Mini that it seems like no 2 are ever alike. We bought a 2nd set of Rota wheels/tires for summer (which look great) but kept the original set of wheels and put winter tires on.

Build quality is good but not great. We've had ours in the shop a couple for unexpected issues, once for intake recall and another time because the timing chain tensioner wore out. The first issue was covered under factory warranty, the 2nd was covered under the extended warranty. Parts and labor for oil changes, routine service, brake pads/rotors is spendy but you have to realize it aint a Civic or Corolla. The nice thing is though the Mini dealer in town is great and always gives us a free loaner.

Expensive to Own
By mnw

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had a blast driving my S. It is a sports car noisy and stiff ride but you would expect this.
We removed the back useless sets and installed Seat deletes.

I bought my Mini Cooper S, 23 months ago it has averaged 13K miles a year , Paid $23K for it. The best offer I have had on it so far is $9700. That is a lot of depreciation. Would I buy another? No Way....... But my luck is I have 2 of them:(

Fun to drive when not being fixed
By oliveb

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2007 MC used with 24,000 miles. It was the perfect first car for me -- small, easy to park, fun to drive. However, around 50,000 miles the car's reliability took a turn. This year it was in for service 7 times, towed twice. Everything from steering wheel locks to o2 sensors has needed to be replaced. It has started to overheat, and make discontenting sounds. Alignment pins have started rattling (not covered in warranty - $700 to fix). After a recent service trip the service light was at 10,000 miles and two weeks later its at 7,000 - no possible way I drove 3k in two weeks.
My mom and sister both have brand new minis and love them, so perhaps this is a car not to be bought used.

Fun to drive, aesthetically appealing, stereo is decent, comfortable interior (although I'm 5'2). Mini Roadside assistance is extremely handy and simple to use.

As said in other reviews, mini needs to recall certain problems that have been seen in their cars. Customer service is extremely poor - every time I take it in, I'm treated like an idiot and these are just common problems every car has. Sadly, I will not be buying another vehicle from Mini. Also, there is no temperature gauge, so the only possible way to tell if the car is overheating is if the area around your feet/pedals gets abnormally warm. There's also a surprising kick that lunges the car forward upon breaking at red lights, stop signs, etc. It's sporadic, but it has almost lunged me into a few cars.

SERIOUS problems with this car - do NOT buy
By erica_mini

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2007 MINI Cooper S brand new, and I couldn't have been more excited to buy what I expected to be a high-performing, Germany car. I couldln't have been more wrong! I am on my SEVENTH major enjine repair in 107K miles. The vacuum pump for the turbo engine has failed TWICE (the first time for $6k), I have had 3 issues with carbon buildup - the most recent ($3500 repair) was all of 11 day after the dealer claimed that the carbon buildup problem had been resolved. In short, I have spent more than $10K repairing the engine problems in this car, and as 3 of these problems have been within 4 months - I have no confidence in this car and can't wait to trade it in for an AMERICAN car!!!!