Used 2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

I like it... when it works.
By moosamabob

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car used with all the bells and whistles of 2007. Except for a reliable engine. While everything looked great on paper, it just doesn't deliver on the reliability front. B/t 70k and 80k miles, it's been in the shop for the timing chain, high pressure fuel pump, exhaust manifold, and the oil filter housing, each of which cost at least $1000. Plus other misc repairs. In all I've dumped $2300 into it since I got it a year ago. Thankfully I bought a warranty, doesn't cover everything though. On top of this, it has a very harsh suspension w/ the 17" rims, it's pretty noisy inside, it consumes way too much oil, everything for it is expensive, and it's entirely a pain to own. Not happy.

The exterior design just looks fantastic. Grey and black is a good scheme for it. Sport mode is great, it opens the floodgates of torque and makes it so much more fun. The manual transmission is excellent: I heard was one of the best to learn from. Very smooth and easy to shift, despite the heavy clutch. The fuel economy is excellent, I'm averaging about 32mpg city. Unfortunately it requires premium gas. The panoramic sunroof is cool but squeaky when shut going over bumps. Auto a/c is also cool b/c the standard hvac controls are terrible. Great visibility.

Better, more reliable mechanical parts that don't cost an arm and a leg every time it breaks. Softer ride, quieter. More sound deadening material inside. A recall for the cold start shudder issue. Better oil life: it's just a small performance car, not a supercar. ... This car is way more of an enthusiast than I am, requiring all kinds of special parts and meticulous attention. And nothing is easy with this car. Every time I try to get the oil changed by a non-mini dealer, they screw it up. Even a simple tire rotation turned into a 3 day ordeal. Do yourself a favor, and, unless you have a ton of money you don't mind wasting, don't buy this car.

Cute but designed to fail
By garyenum

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The time chain self destructed at 40k miles and the engine has to be replaced. The technician said that the parts how that there was a problem for a while, judging the wear marks on certain parts. He also said that timing chains only last 30 or 40k miles. Don't buy a Mini. If you own one sell it before the timing chain breaks and screws up the internal parts such that the engine has to be replaced to the tune of $8,000. Dumb design, I was a dummy for buying it.

Fun to drive, but the fun ends quickly.

Design an engine that does not self destruct to help keep your service department running.

Do Not Ever Buy a Mini
By rc_rasmussen

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

What a fun car to drive!!

What a horrible car to own!!

I've had nothing but maintenance issues with my mini.
It's too bad really, cuz I was such a huge fan for the first 2yrs I owned the car.
Since then though, never again.

I've had all the same issues with the timing chain and tensioner, up to the climax when I was told I would need a new engine at 86k miles.
Cost 8000$.
Mini agreed to help pay for 0!!
I'm now at 98k and the engine has started to seize.
I was extremely dilligent in maintenance.

Other issues include airbag sensors breaking, replacing a water pump at 52k - cost : 1400$.

The kicker - I just finished paying it off 3 months ago....

Save yourself the 24k$

The drive

The entire drivetrain or lengthen the service plan to 100k miles. Give me my 24k back.... or part of it....

Lots of Fun for the Enthusiast
By aburg

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought our S 6spd used in 2010 with 28k on the clock.
We chose a Mini S because we wanted something that got decent MPG was fun to drive and was a little different.
It has fulfilled all of those things and we are extremely happy with it.

We knew that buying a Civic or Corolla would probably be cheaper and more reliable but it would also be a lot more boring.
The Mini has been in the shop now and again but we knew it would probably take some up keep going in.
We bought our Mini used, it still had some factory warranty on it and we added an extended warranty ($1,800) which has turned out to be useful.

The main reason we were drawn to the Mini is the exterior styling, love it. The 6spd manual and turbo is a really fun combo and it handles like a go kart. Really love the panoramic sunroof, and the interior styling. We got one with a higher end interior, some of the base ones felt a little cheap. There are so many custom options when ordering a new Mini that it seems like no 2 are ever alike. We bought a 2nd set of Rota wheels/tires for summer (which look great) but kept the original set of wheels and put winter tires on.

Build quality is good but not great. We've had ours in the shop a couple for unexpected issues, once for intake recall and another time because the timing chain tensioner wore out. The first issue was covered under factory warranty, the 2nd was covered under the extended warranty. Parts and labor for oil changes, routine service, brake pads/rotors is spendy but you have to realize it aint a Civic or Corolla. The nice thing is though the Mini dealer in town is great and always gives us a free loaner.

Expensive to Own
By mnw

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had a blast driving my S. It is a sports car noisy and stiff ride but you would expect this.
We removed the back useless sets and installed Seat deletes.

I bought my Mini Cooper S, 23 months ago it has averaged 13K miles a year , Paid $23K for it. The best offer I have had on it so far is $9700. That is a lot of depreciation. Would I buy another? No Way....... But my luck is I have 2 of them:(