Used 2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Don't but get the Panoramic roof option
By timmylee1958

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I had wanted a mini cooper for some years. After finding what I wanted, in my price range, I purchased a 2007 base hatchback with 49k miles. The car was in super nice shape. Mechanically it ran and drove excellent. It has been an absolute blast to drive. It gets some super fuel economy. I was getting better than the average. 34.5 mpg combined. Then the trouble started. Sun roof stuck open. $1100 to install a used Sunroof just 5 days after I owned the car. Dealer said this is Common? The replacement sunroof had so much wind noise it sounded like a wind tunnel. 2 months later the replacement roof failed I just sealed it to help eliminate the wind noise. Dealer

Handling, Fuel Economy, Just a extreme blast to drive.

Don't even offer the Panoramic roof. This option would be a deal breaker for me in the future. Get rid of the smart fob and use a REAL key to start. Make the oil dip stick easier to read.

Lease it dont buy
By vantage01

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

bought this car new i loved it but not the 18 trips (yes 18 i counted )i made to dealership in the first 36 months of ownership for various issues and the six full sets of tires i went through in the first 4.5 years the car hit 80k drank a quart of oil every week drained my pockets for small issues till i sold it to an acquaintance at 101,000 after i did timing chain. new buyer told me engine main seal and turbo went at 114,000 cost him 2500 he sold it after that. i loved the car was so fun to drive but after being so used to the reliability of an Lexus i was so unprepared to own such a problematic car.

6 speed trans, styling, interior mood light, dual sunroof

Engine reliability

A Very Bad Investment
By choulli

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Mini Cooper S, std shift, new in 2007.
It was a fun & happy ride for a very short time.
Since owning this money-sucking imp, I have spent approx $5K in repairs

water pump & new seals
thermostat (2nd tow)
driver's side window mechanism
driver's side visor

Front suspension is shot & clutch is in need of replacement.
Car is under 50K miles & less than 8 yrs old
I am trading it in for a Subaru & I will not buy another.

it's cute & packs a punch on the highway

build a better car

2007 mini cooper S - run now!
By anita28

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a used mini cooper S - it had 39000 miles on it and 5 owners before me. I ignored that warning sign because it was so cute and so fun to drive - big mistake. I loved that car and had it for 1 yr before I traded it in - too many problems to list but the last one was a recall. I knew from experience that Mini dealership would say it was something I did so I traded it in. They never covered anything - ever - it was always my fault. I spent over 2,000 bucks on it in a year. I love the car, always will but I can't afford the repairs. For a Mini car it has Major expenses, are you prepared to pay that price? I wasn't - driving a Toyota now and very very happy with it!

A blast to drive, so adorable and sporty. I'll miss it for that always.

Customer service!!!! Can't say that enough! Why does the Mini dealership not provide better service. Oh I know - because they know their product is faulty and it'll cost them lots of money. They wouldn't even cover things under warranty - said it was something I did even though it was a known problem - thermostat issue for instance.

Six years in, still love it
By adra21

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new in the fall of 2007, and still really love it. It handles well, it's fun to drive, it's good-looking, and it does everything I need it to do. It fits into smaller parking spaces (a very nice perk in a city like Los Angeles). Overall great car and I can't recommend it enough. The thing to bear in mind about my feedback: my prior car was a 1988 Jeep Cherokee, so VERY different. And if you're thinking of transitioning from a bigger car to this car, be aware that you'll use your horn a little more, because sometimes people just don't see the car when changing lanes.

- the giant glass sunroof (option) - ipod/aux input - being able to control the stereo from the steering wheel (that might also be an option) - the digital readout behind the steering wheel that shows exterior temperature and the car's speed - keyless entry - the way it looks: I just think this is the cutest car - it fits way more cargo than you'd expect: you can put the rear seats down and fit a ton in the trunk and the back seat (if you're going to have more than one passenger, then obviously I don't recommend this, but the car does great on a road trip for two to wine country, carrying all the wine and all the luggage)

The only less-than-stellar thing about this car is how much it squeaks. There's just something about the materials used in the interior that's a bit cheaper and I notice that there's a lot of squeaking (like of plastic) as the car shakes from movement on the road. It seems to be worse in the heat.