Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Good things come in small packages
By 2MANYCARS

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

A pocket hot rod, Goliath killer. I have all the high perf. options and love the overall package performance. A couple of laps at Sebring surprised my brother who races a Porsche there. Stable, fast, excellent brakes, peppy engine. If you want thrifty car, buy a VW diesel. This is about fun and "low self esteem ", they will look at you for sure. Bought HK Sound and Chrono Package. Love them. Chili Red with Silver top different look altogether from Red/White. Would buy again.

S with JCW package can't be beat . HK sound is great. Prefer Chrono package layout with Speedo and Tach in front of driver .

Get rid of run flats.

My Favorite Car to Date!
By Mom loves Mini

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Mini is excellent in the snow. Forget the 4-wheel big SUV, this little car handles the snow better than any other car I owned. In the summer, the Mini begs to be driven on the open road. Also, I have yet to find a parking spot that I can't fit into. I went to New York in the winter. At first the parking garage said there was no room, but when they saw my Mini, they found room for that car! I have yet to use my husbands truck to go grocery shopping. My Mini holds it all and then some!! I have yet to have a bad experience with my car. Just seeing my car makes me smile and I say "Mini, mini, mini!!"

My favorite feature of the car is the roominess (believe it or not) for the front seat. I like my fog lights and the big speedometer in the middle!

I can't think of anything that could make this car any better

Annoyances Trump Fun
By goldsbar

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned several fun cars in my life and this one just doesn't measure up. The annoyances really got to me after a while. Not a lot of engine for the price. Run flats had horrible grip off the line. Tires chirped at the slightest provocation. Horrible gas mileage - low 20's - for the size of the car and power. Engine was annoying and very economy car like. Didn't give that "I want to go faster" feeling. Huge blindspot with the top up. Yes, it was fun to drive even at slow speeds which is important. Handling is very good but not great by any means. Better cars for the money out there!

Fun to drive at sane speeds, tight and sporty feeling suspension

Tires, gas mileage, blindspot with convertible, price

After a Year and a Half
By Robert

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I really enjoy this car and I'm glad that I bought it. I purchased the S model and added the moonroof, fog lamps and DSC. The moonroof is outstanding, I like the DSC but if I didn't have the fog lamps, I wouldn't notice. I haven't had any problems, but after 20,000 miles there are a few rattles and squeaks (particularly in the brakes on a cold day - the dealer told me that that was because of the brake pad composition). Its gas mileage is good, even with having to buy premium gas (I just filled it today and spent $32 in NJ). All in all, this car is still a blast to drive and I always get a question or two at the car wash about it. I'm happy with my '06 Mini Cooper S!

The moonroof and the tach in the center.

GP - From 0019 in the US
By AprilWhine

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is my fourth MINI, not bad on a car only that has only been available in the US since 2002! I've loved them all, but the GP is really something special. From the sound of the supercharger winding up to the road hugging dynamics, it's the most fun to drive car I've ever owned.

The JCW tuned engine.

The OEM Navigation in the 2007 model needs improvement.