Used 2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Fun to Drive
By Stuart

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini Cooper is roomier than most people think, so if you are considering one, sit in it. If you like to drive, this car is a blast. I thought that getting the automatic would reduce the fun, but it was for my wife and what she wanted. Living in the congested Portland, OR metro area, I have to say that it is the right choice. I do use the manual mode at times and can either maximize my fuel economy or power by shifting myself. We got the sport package with the 17" wheels. The ride is a little rough, but we don't mind and the handling is great. Its fuel economy in mostly city driving has been around 19-21 MPG. The door locks stopped working on the first day, but after the switch panel was replaced we haven't had any issues.

This car is fun to drive, handles great, the S model has sufficient power, and I love the manual shift mode on the auto transmission. It is roomier than I expected.

Add electric seats with memory (my wife is 5'2" and I am 6'), better lumbar support, and better cup holders. I would be nice to have even better gas mileage (the new model does).

Awesome Car!
By ohblackwater

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The MINI Cooper is an awesome car. I have driven 8,500 miles in mine and I have averaged 32.2 mpg with mostly in town driving. The power is good especially between 50 and 80 mph (I know that surprised me as well). The fit and finish are perfect. I'm very picky and I've owned this car for 6 months. I have yet to find a SINGLE defect in the car. I got the Premium and Sport packages. I will absolutely buy another MINI product. They're phenomenal quality and "Oh My GOD" fun to drive! This car is a go cart!

I love the handling! It's excellent! I also love the fuel economy. Even with my spirited/heavy-footed driving, I'm still averaging 32.2 mpg. The on-board computer is excellent as well!

I can't imagine any improvements other than giving the car 300 hp and the same fuel economy for the same price. Ha!

Great Car for the Money
By Kevin

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've driven my MINI 3,200 miles so far. Although there are some bad reviews about the reliability of Minis, I haven't experienced any problems with mine. I drove many cars including Porsche and Lotus before Mini, and I have to say Mini tops the chart in most fun to drive category. My appreciation for the car's design in and out grows every time I look at it. Finally, its resale value is amazing. I don't think there are people who buy a cars and sell them for higher prices than Mini owners, true story.

The super charger, RDS, awesome suspension, and great steering feel,

Add automatic window controls. The rear glass roof should slide,

Driving While Smiling
By Jim W.

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've been driving my MINI S 6-speed since August, and always buckle up smiling... something I can't say about my previous car - the '03 Jetta 5-speed from VW (a great car itself). This car has very sporty handling, great styling inside and out, and an engine which I would rather listen to than any radio or music! I love the bright red and chrome accents inside. You just never forget that you are driving a special car. I don't race about, but any time a curve comes along I can't help but raise the revs and enjoy the thrill of this car's cornering. The fit and reliability so far have been excellent - some features like the toggles may seem quirky but that's the British touch!

The body contours, distinctive dash and speedo, night lighting, engine performance, handling, and fold-down rear seats. Look at the unique headlight design - in the bonnet - for something no other car has, as well as that functioning bonnet scoop!

Tweak out some better gas mileage (done in '07) and skip the run flat tires.

So far, so good
By fedssocr

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MINI Cooper in March 2006. I placed the order in January but had to wait a couple of months to get my car. I don't drive very much so I only have about 3,500 miles on it so far. At first, the gas mileage seemed low, but now that everything is broken in it's great. I average over 40 mpg on the highway and about 30 or so combined city/hwy. I am also fairly small so I am quite comfortable. The handling is great. Even though it's "only" a base Cooper I still have plenty of passing power and zip when I need it. It's really a great little car. This car is easy to drive, easy to park.

The HK sound system sounds great, It has great handling and a small size.

Allow the digital speedo to work with the cockpit chrono pack, but this is a moot point with the new model.