Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Buy A John Cooper Works
By sportscarnut

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 06 JCW over a year ago, and I have no regrets. This is my third BMW, and reliability has been on par with my prior cars (about average), but it is a blast to drive! The ride is certainly on the rough side, and there is a good amount of noise from the wind and a/c, so be prepared to crank up the radio. My JCW is rated at about 40 more hp than the S, but you really don't notice the difference in power unless you rev it hard. The noticeable difference w/ the JCW is in the limited slip differential, the aero body kit, and the brakes. Cornering versus the standard S is night-and-day difference. If you are a guy, stay with dark colors as light colors look cutesy on this car.

The John Cooper Works Kit, limited slip, great exhaust sound, rock solid brakes, non-run-flat tires (I use Bridgestones), multitude of wheel designs from MINI, good gas mileage even when driven hard, good reliability for a performance car, corners like a car costing three times as much.

If you live in the South, think twice about getting a sunroof, the dual glass with the perforated shade will absolutely bake you during the summer. Non-sunroof S cars are rare, but it is worth the cooler interior and the reduced weight and lowered center of gravity.

So Much Fun!
By jfied

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cooper Hatchback used with 13.4k miles, and I absolutely love it. Yes, it's a little on the loud side, and rough roads make for a bumpy ride. But this is absolutely "the most fun" car I have ever driven! It absolutely hugs the road - I love putting the sunroof down (and the seat heaters on if it's chilly) on a sunny day, especially if I have the luxury of a drive across the back roads. However, I live in an urban area, and most of my driving is a rush-hour commute. I still wouldn't change the car. I get about 27 MPG in town (bumper-to-bumper) and 33 MPG on the highway.

Incredible control on curvy roads, plus the sunroof and seat heaters.

It is a little loud, and it would be nice if potholes weren't so noticeable.

Devil in the Details
By jim

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Loud...very loud road noise from lack of any soundproofing insulation whatsoever and those iron run-flat tires. At speeds over 30mph, be prepared to blast the radio/CD player. Windows...could the doors have been made just a little taller to fully retract the side windows? Underpowered in the automatic transmission. In urban traffic where one has to floor it to enter a lane, the darn thing goes to top rpm and dies. Overall the car needs about 50-75 additional horsepower.

Good/above average seats, leg room seated height. I'm 6'5" and have lots of room.

Sound proofing!!! I fly Army helicopters and the road noise with everything closed up, is comparable to a UH-1. Blue/green instrument backlighting, never, never, never use red! Fix the windows so they fully retract with the top of the doors.

Think About It
By Bob S

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love the personality of this car! I love the overall design--inside and out, but this car is not really meant for urban driving, especially in areas where there are potholes. In two years I have had to replace the struts twice and the brakes once and the run-flat tires while convenient provide for a jarring ride. The ride on expressways is great and acceleration is great. Think about how much the car costs and if you're ready to deal with it's quirky issues. Also, not as good on gas as one would expect--I averaged 19 mpg, not the best for a car of this size.

Speed, clean dash, and great exterior design.

Durability! Stop using run-flats, they're a nasty ride and pricey to replace.

Sad but True
By mangopop

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mini in 2006. It was the ONLY car I wanted and I fell in love with it instantly. After 1 1/2 years, and about 12K miles I started having all sorts of electrical problems. Ive had more sensors go off than I knew were in the car! Airbag sensor, Gas sensor..and a few more that I don't remember the name for. I have now been in and out of the dealership every month for the last 5 months and i'm really disappointed that my Mini cooper did not live up to my expectations. I was hoping for it to be around for a while, now I'm looking to let it go before the warranty is up.

It has so much character! The chrome interior/exterior bits really add to the design and I'm so glad I got them. Customization is great. Surprisingly holds a lot when the rear seats come down. Never a problem fitting all I needed in this little car.

The drive is rough and loud! Open up the sunroof and you have to yell for your passengers to be able to hear you. Just swapped out my run-flats for regular tires and the ride is a bit better, but every time I hit a rough street I tense up because it handles the bumps so poorly.