Used 2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

My Ford was more reliable.
By bstndance

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I leased my Mini and had a great two year relationship with the car. Suddenly, after the two year mark its all downhill. It started with the fan always running even when the car was off. That turned into a water pump problem. Then the check engine light comes on randomly. The interior falls apart easily. The mini emblem on the steering wheel popped off when I pressed the horn. The windows and sunroof sometimes open when I unlock the car using the electronic fob. Now, the battery suddenly up and died in the middle of the day. I ran into a store for 15 mintues, came out and it was dead. Got jumped but the car died again the next day. Can't wait for my lease to finish!

Size, handling, popularity. Very easy to park.

Mechanical issues. But hey, it's a German car. What do you expect?

The greatest thing since sliced bread!
By UKDragon

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

What's not to like? The best exterior and interior designed car ever, great fuel economy, you can park it anywhere, still has a great kick in performance, it takes turns like nothing else! Ridiculously fun to drive, and you get to be part of the MINI community- don't forget to wave to other passing MINI owners on the road! One of the best things about this car is that you get to customize it's appearance however you wish. Go explore their website and virtually design your own MINI! I have had no technical issues with mine, and it's been 2 years. Plus it has a great warranty and the service is BMW quality. Nothing bad to say about it!

Custom design options: put a decal on the roof, bonnet strips on the bonnet, lots of great color options, etc., ipod friendly, and easy to add mods (mods aren't costly either!)

Stop trying to improve on perfection BMW MINI! That's how the 2007 MINI and then the Clubman happened.

'06 Hyper Blue Cooper!
By BK

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car screams! I always look forward to driving it, whether on an 800 mile round trip to the mountains, or a 2 mile trip to the store. Acceleration is super, as is braking. Cornering is something to look forward to, as there is no detectable lean, even when pushing what I would call normal "around town" driving. I have never had trouble merging onto the freeway, making that last-minute 3-lane lane change if I have to, or parking. My biggest worry is if someone dings one of the doors. I have the GPS system, which is not only hugely useful, but great fun. It gets twice the mileage of my V-8 SUV, which I keep because it's paid off, and sometimes I need to haul wood or dirt - not for a Mini!

6-speed tranny, GPS, halogens, winter package, huge (I mean huge) sunroof + second moonroof, stereo controls on steering wheel, mpg computer

"all season" tires are not great in snow/ice - if I drove this car a lot in the snow, I'd get dedicated studded snows, but deep snow is one reason I kept the SUV

My Favorite Car to Date!
By Mom loves Mini

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Mini is excellent in the snow. Forget the 4-wheel big SUV, this little car handles the snow better than any other car I owned. In the summer, the Mini begs to be driven on the open road. Also, I have yet to find a parking spot that I can't fit into. I went to New York in the winter. At first the parking garage said there was no room, but when they saw my Mini, they found room for that car! I have yet to use my husbands truck to go grocery shopping. My Mini holds it all and then some!! I have yet to have a bad experience with my car. Just seeing my car makes me smile and I say "Mini, mini, mini!!"

My favorite feature of the car is the roominess (believe it or not) for the front seat. I like my fog lights and the big speedometer in the middle!

I can't think of anything that could make this car any better

After a Year and a Half
By Robert

2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I really enjoy this car and I'm glad that I bought it. I purchased the S model and added the moonroof, fog lamps and DSC. The moonroof is outstanding, I like the DSC but if I didn't have the fog lamps, I wouldn't notice. I haven't had any problems, but after 20,000 miles there are a few rattles and squeaks (particularly in the brakes on a cold day - the dealer told me that that was because of the brake pad composition). Its gas mileage is good, even with having to buy premium gas (I just filled it today and spent $32 in NJ). All in all, this car is still a blast to drive and I always get a question or two at the car wash about it. I'm happy with my '06 Mini Cooper S!

The moonroof and the tach in the center.