Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Failed at only 23,000 miles
By Trevor

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Mini Cooper was fun. I think everyone already knows this. Ownership wasn't so fun. The trim around the windows is poorly done, I was going on my 3rd windshield due to previous windshields cracking and the main computer command board failed. It could no longer tell the automatic transmission what to do. At only 23,000 miles! Not good. I got rid of it. Oh, the dealership claimed the car wasn't wired properly either. On the 4th visit? Yikes!

Gas mileage of course. Paint was very good-a glittery blue. Heated seats! Handling.

Windshields, somehow body flexing caused cracking, trim around body of car and surrounding windshield needs to be made more sturdy. Inside of car seems cheesy and cheap.

smiling everyday
By sarahbeara

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

If you want to cheer yourself up everytime you get behind the wheel, then the Mini Cooper is for you! This is the zippiest little car I've ever driven. Every detail is thoughtfully designed and I've loved every minute I've had it. For a few thousand dollars more (we were looking for a used prius or civic) I realized that I could buy a car that I seriously love. I now LOOK FORWARD to driving. It's the kind of a treat that I highly recommend - better than an expensive vacation. Spend a few more dollars on a mini cooper, and you will be investing in a decade of smiles!

Sporty Blue chrome dashboard and amazingly cool doors, seat-warmer, stereo system, leather- wrapped steering wheel, relatively quiet ride, assability to merge into heavy traffic effortlessly.

The passenger door handle sticks sometimes. The trunk light will come on every now and then - it's a little finicky. Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, I'm driving a mini cooper S convertible - I have nothing to complain about.

Almost Perfect
By Suzanna

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

A lot of fun, but lacks some practicality. Got rid of the run-flat tires to improve gas mileage and my dog kept stepping on the reset button anyway. Warning: no matter how considerate of a driver you might be, there are other drivers who are outright hostile to Mini Coopers (I've had other people confirm this). Maybe it's jealousy. Either way, watch out for it.

The extra driving lights are great for back roads, the toggle switch controls are always fun, and the mileage/trip computer is addictive.

I think they already fixed the cupholder. Better chrome plating- it keeps peeling. Relocate the run-flat reset button to the toggle switch area. What IS that empty space for, anyway?

Some issues, but a joy to drive
By driverone

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was at the dealership taking advantage of the 36,000 mile maintenance warranty more often than I'd like. First 36,000 miles: ball joint wore down, three sets of front tires (too much fun to drive), thermostat went out, front brake rotors replaced, tailgate sensor replaced, cd player skipped (radio replaced). After all is said and done, the MINI was a great car to drive. Even the convertible is faster than most cars on the road. It's easy to play leap frog in traffic with this little go-kart. Too bad they went to turbo, because hearing the whine of the supercharger was very comforting. I will miss the MINI, but not its potential for high maintenance costs and the small cargo area.

remote convertible top, sunroof feature, manual shifting for automatic transmission, heads-up tach, great Harmon-Kardon stereo system, sport suspension is phenomenal, reverse alarm sensors, xenon headlights, headlights rise with hood (find cats in trees), tailgate nice for a seat (up to 150 lbs.)

tranny has problems shifting in high- rpm range through middle gears (I manually shifted to keep rpms low), needs armrest, more horsepower, rollbars behind rear seat greatly affect visibility, headlights powerwash never worked properly, conv. top creaks when opening/closing

The all mighty MINI
By E-money

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a lot of fun but it comes with a lot of quirks too. The overall design (in and out) is smooth and pleasing to look at. We have the Racing Pulley accesory which adds horsepower and creates an intoxicating turbo sound when u punch the gas. The only real complaints I have with this car is the fact that with the run flat tires it rides severely stiff. The second is the reliability, from one day to the next the car will act strange (engine sounds, random jumps in electric). But never the less if you are looking to buy one I would highly reccomend it!

Looks,Engine(with Racing Pulley), Bumpin' Sound System, Turns Heads :)

Ride stiffness, UNRELIABLE, A little more Torque/HP