Used 2006 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Some issues, but a joy to drive
By driverone

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was at the dealership taking advantage of the 36,000 mile maintenance warranty more often than I'd like. First 36,000 miles: ball joint wore down, three sets of front tires (too much fun to drive), thermostat went out, front brake rotors replaced, tailgate sensor replaced, cd player skipped (radio replaced). After all is said and done, the MINI was a great car to drive. Even the convertible is faster than most cars on the road. It's easy to play leap frog in traffic with this little go-kart. Too bad they went to turbo, because hearing the whine of the supercharger was very comforting. I will miss the MINI, but not its potential for high maintenance costs and the small cargo area.

remote convertible top, sunroof feature, manual shifting for automatic transmission, heads-up tach, great Harmon-Kardon stereo system, sport suspension is phenomenal, reverse alarm sensors, xenon headlights, headlights rise with hood (find cats in trees), tailgate nice for a seat (up to 150 lbs.)

tranny has problems shifting in high- rpm range through middle gears (I manually shifted to keep rpms low), needs armrest, more horsepower, rollbars behind rear seat greatly affect visibility, headlights powerwash never worked properly, conv. top creaks when opening/closing

Devil in the Details
By jim

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Loud...very loud road noise from lack of any soundproofing insulation whatsoever and those iron run-flat tires. At speeds over 30mph, be prepared to blast the radio/CD player. Windows...could the doors have been made just a little taller to fully retract the side windows? Underpowered in the automatic transmission. In urban traffic where one has to floor it to enter a lane, the darn thing goes to top rpm and dies. Overall the car needs about 50-75 additional horsepower.

Good/above average seats, leg room seated height. I'm 6'5" and have lots of room.

Sound proofing!!! I fly Army helicopters and the road noise with everything closed up, is comparable to a UH-1. Blue/green instrument backlighting, never, never, never use red! Fix the windows so they fully retract with the top of the doors.

Great Car! But....
By JKPowers67

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini has been a great around town car, providing solid performance and a lot of fun. If my driving were still largely in town I would never get rid of it. However, I now commute 70 miles per day over rougher surface highways and the road noise is very significant. It makes it hard to talk on the phone, and in a quiet car (no music) it's just annoying. Reliability has been good, but the minor things that have come up required a 2 hour drive to pick up the car. The whole experience has been great, but it's time to move on. I pick up my Infinity G37 this afternoon. But I'll really miss my Mini.

Convertible top is great, and the car looks fantastic with the top down. Great engine, smooth acceleration. The Harmon Kardon sound system sounds great.

Less road noise. Improved build quality geared toward removing the annoying rattles. It needs a little better 0-60 performance.

Fun Commuter
By Fun Commute

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After much research I purchased a used one with 35k miles for local commutes.It's a go cart on steriods. Whole family loves it. It handles as well as anything I've ever driven in the twisty hills we have here and I've driven about every sports car out there. However, at speed on interstate( say 80-90 mph) it gets squirrely. Primarily as a result of torque steer, tight steering and fact it's a square box.I've put 7k on it and have had no maintenance issues except radio. Top is wonderful and surprisingly quiet but you're blind in rear quarterpanels when it's up. Mileage has been so so (24 cty-26 hwy) but pedal has been to floor since I've had it.I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Smooth transmission (6spd), engine and braking. Very roomy for a tiny car and an engineering marvel. Sunroof function on convertible is fabulous. Non-leaking roof.

Radio controls and sound system.

Loved it since I bought it.
By Dave Finski

2006 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've loved my 2006 Mini convertible since I bought it brand new. My wife asked me what I'd get on my next one that I didn't get on the one I bought. My answer, "nothing". There isn't anything I feel I should have opted for. Nothing I opted for that I should have done without. Opted for the basic engine. Saved money and don't need the extra horsepower, extra complexity of the turbo now mileage loss from being assertive with the gas pedal. Got the chrome exterior do-dads to cheer it up, leather bolstered seats, AC, manual transmission, more chrome do-dads inside and heated seats. Must get the heated seats. Awesome when the air gets a bit chilly. Now my wife wants her own!

Bostered leather, heated seats. We use the back seat for stuff we tote or an extra passenger from time to time. Convertible top is terrific.

Some have scorned the cup holder that pivots from dash. I like it. It's not in the way at all, holds my sunglasses or a drink and can be removed at a whim if I so desire. I haven't desired!