Used 2005 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 261 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

7670226
By 7670226

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We dumped our Jetta for a Mini, and it was a great decision. It feels so exhilirating to ride. The vroom of the 1.6-liter four makes me want to go faster. The transmission, though is a different story. But there is so little body lean, it corners perfectly, why get an S model if this is enough? The rear seat is surprisingly roomy for a car this small. Most controls are simple to use. The outside is just adorable. The white goes perfectly with the black roof. Driving lamps help at night. It's sad that there isn't enough room for us and our luggage, so we can't go to Chicago with it. But it's so much fun just to drive through the city. It's so playful.

Driving lamps, awesome manual tranny, cornering, tire grip, rips through the campus with the guys's jaws open, so cute, accurate speedometer, acceleration, MPG, heated seats, easy cabin access

An extra cupholder, trunk space, wish I got the Nav system, why exactly does it need premium fuel?

I may be small, but I am safe and solid.
By autooracle

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Great car. Handles better than a 911. If that corner says 30 and you are going 60. Hold on!! Very solid. Rattles can be a bit annoying. The dealer had to intall an anti rattle kit. So-far-so-good. Get rid of the run flat tires as fast as you can wear them out. Replacing them with another brand of tire will drastically improve your ride.

Rain sensing wipers, xenon headlights

Get rid of the run flat tires.

Gotta love the Mini!
By bttrflyscales

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car all around! This vehicle is fun to drive the style is like nothing I've ever seen and I love the fact that I can be unique with my car. I don't know any other car that matches it.

Making it a hybrid

The greatest car I've ever owned
By nkasoff

2005 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my MINI convertible. I've owned all sorts of cars in the past, and nothing even comes close. I got a base model, the only option was the CVT. It's not a performance car by any means, but I didn't want that - if I did, I'd have bought the S. I don't need the speed, or the tickets.

Beautiful styling, amazing maneuverability, and it's plain cute.

Nothing, really. My only suggestion to BMW is, don't change too much in future model years. The thought of them watering down the name with the proposed "MINI SUV" disgusts me.

Overall not bad
By jmargolis

2005 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Generally, I've been very happy with my Mini. I've had one ABS sensor go bad and my power steering hose needed replacing for a leak. There are very occasional inexplicable computer problems, as well. Overall, performance and handling are very good, though the stock run-flats on a sport suspension and springs make for a rough ride. The interior is nice (I prefer the pre-2007 interior) but a little "plasticky"; would be nice if they offered JCW leather upgrade for more than just the dash and down tubes (e.g., the door panels).

I think the styling is really nice and the car handles like a big go-cart, which makes it really fun to drive.

The stock MCS (supercharged, not turbo) can get a big horsepower boost from a relatively small amount of tuning. BMW was a bit conservative in places. Overall reliability could be a little better, too.