Used 2004 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 366 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Love it - Great value for the money
By denvermike

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a blast to drive. It spoils you. From the quick acceleration, to the continued power through all 6 gears, combined with sharp handling = tons of fun. Add in the great fuel economy and the unique look and it's just a great car. And if aftermarket tuning is an interest for you, this car has tons of potential available for simple/non-intrusive changes. You can easily add 40+ hp without doing anything radical. Warning - the summer tires will do you little good in the snow; the car is just too twitchy. I purchased a 2nd set of rims and studded snow tires and the car unstoppable in the Colorado winter.

Supercharger and the ability to tune the car for performance. Fuel economy is great - I average 28 mpg in mixed driving. Sun roofs are huge. iPod adapter works great. And of course, the drive is great. Lastly this car has held its value - certainly a rare thing in cars.

I don't like the roof rack options - you have to get the dealer to drill holes in roof or chance a yakima/thule that doesn't fit too well. Quality was good but there were a number of problems that were repaired under warranty (electric window riser, some bearing in the steering column went bad.)

Mini in Quality
By Denise

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love the looks and space, but was disappointed with the the quality of the car. In 4 years I have spent almost $5000 in repairs. The battery was dead at 3 years. Several months after paying $700 for an oil change/inspection the check engine light came on and the car was sputtering. The spark plug wires were bad. Several months later the oil light came on. It needed a switch, but then also needed an engine harness and starter. This work had to be done at a dealership and took one week to complete. I was fortunate that they had a loaner available. I am afraid to take this car on a road trip. I am thinking of trading it in on a Honda. I never had such expensive repairs with my Honda

Fold down back seats to create a large cargo space. Cute car.

Improve the quality. I thought that BMW made meant quality and not just extra expenses.

Great car but...
By johnd

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, fun to drive. Cute as a button however, we are noticing some build quality issues. At 40K, radiator leaked, replaced battery 2 times, new belt tensioner, new engine seals. I don't know if the mechanic knew what he was doing but I found out the dealer sold his dealership shortly thereafter and all new people are working there now. Not too happy with the repairs.

Fun to drive and looks. Great gas mileage.

Better build quality. Great car but beware the CVT transmission . I have read they have problems as early as 60K miles.

Great car up to a point
By Robert

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Everything was fine until the warrenty ran out. I bought my Mini in April, 2004. The car ran great until my extended warrenty expired at 75,000 miles. The first thing to go out was one of the engine sensors - that was about $700. A little later I took it in for a tune-up. The dealer noticed that a seal was leaking and with the tune-up I was out another $1,300. As I was leaving they mentioned that some item in the suspension would need to be replaced soon to the tune of another $1,000. About two months after that I lost the power steering. Enough was enough, I traded it in on a Honda. It's a great car if you can afford the maintenance

Real fun to drive

Improve the quality

Amazing car
By gotvanilla

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my MINI for 3 years now. It's so awesome to drive I actually prefer my longer commute! I count myself lucky to be able to spend at least 2 hours a day in it. It's stylish and indescribably fun to drive. In my three years, I've never had a single problem with it. It's like a fairy tale!

It's like the tartis from Dr Who. Tiny on the outside but amazing room on the inside.

None!