Used 2004 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 366 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Midlife Crisis Car
By Downtown111

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the 09 MINIs the first time my wife and I drove a brand new 08 in the Spring of 09. But I was reluctant to spend the 28K on the sticker. Then I found an 04 with 50K miles for half that and thought it would be a good way to see if we really wanted one. This car has exceeded every expectation we had for fun, economy and attention-getting. We occasionally read about CVT issues for this year, but after 6 months of daily commutes of 70 miles we still love this reliable, trouble-free sports car. Just put snow tires on for our winter commuting. My wife thinks it is a sensible choice for a mid-life crisis vehicle, and nothing we have ever owned is this much fun to drive!

Fit and finish, even under the hood, Head room, front leg room, acceleration, braking, very reasonable cargo capacity for a car of this size and performance, head-turning good looks. (I cannot tell you how many times people stop to tell us this car is awesome, but it is a near daily event.)

Closest dealer 2+ hours, cup holders are awkward, Brake pad replacement was a surprise. MINI will not replace them without without replacing rotors--rears were $400, but I didn't buy this vehicle to be practical

Back to the Shop Again
By BarbAnn50

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The transmission died on this car with only 54K miles on it. Had a rebuilt installed (these do not come cheap) and less than a year later, having problems again. I'm so incredibly disappointed; I'll never buy another one.

I can pick it out of a line-up.

The transmission!

The Best of Times & Worst of Times
By drea111

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was a Mini Cooper Fan-Fantastic. every time, I saw another Mini Cooper driver I would wave emphatically or nod knowingly. Not so ecstatic now. After only 15,000 miles my 04 Certified Pre-Owned Mini Cooper S w/extended warranty fell-to-pieces. Here is the quick math (approx. miles): 38,700 miles Bought a Certified Pre-Owned Mini w/ extended warranty-April 08 38,708 miles Returned car because the rear bumper was two-toned-April 08 46,629 miles The crankshaft pulley, bolt, tensioner were repaired-Jan. 09 53,000 miles The Clutch, tire arms, tire bolts, tiresÂ…all need repairs-Oct. 09 The "True Cost of owning this Mini is just starting @ $6,600. Read the forums & know before you buy.

I have a 6 speed manual transmission that is great to drive and handles well when cornering. Driving a Mini gives you a sense of esprit de corp and euphoria. It is pure fun and makes you laugh.

Investigate, redesign & please fix the recurring clutch/transmission problem.

Tranny Problems?
By J-man shipes

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Mini cooper is very fun car to drive. Great on gas, fast, and is very easy to get around in. It is a tight ride in the seats, so it's not the funnest to drive for long periods of time. NOW! The downfall. Mini cooper has had problems with the junk transmissions they put into the coopers. Despite being built by BMW, it is not a BMW tranny in the car. My car has 67000 mile on it and the transmission is acting up in it, the cost to fix it? Try $6000, since mini does not sell parts to fix the bad trannies. Other than that, it's a very cool car to drive until you get to high miles on the car and it will cost you.

Go-kart like to drive, Flashy exterior, Unique, Great on gas

Put a reliable transmission in the car, and it would be unbeatable.

MONEY PIT! DON'T BUY!
By Chris P

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 mini cooper in the summer of 2008 used. I am the second owner. It is a blast to drive and gets tons of curb appeal. However, it is a complete piece of garbage. Literally over night about a month ago...the engine started to sound like a blender. After going to 2 mechanics to get opinions...I need a new transmission!...which baffles me since it is manual and i drive very carefully. Many other small problems, such as pwr windows breaking, airbag sensor light turning on, squeaky brakes, terrible to drive when A/C is on. It is SOOO expensive to maintain. I am currently looking to trade it in before problems get worse. Complete garbage. Dont waste your money.

Attention getter. Great handling. Leather seats smell soooo good. Fun to drive.

Quality. Price and availability of parts.