Used 2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

love it / hate it
By urbanllc

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can't think of another car I could want after having a MINI; however, especially for the first two years, I can't think of another car that could have given me so much trouble. I'll chalk it up to having bought the first model year. The mpg is poor and not nearly as high as represented. Still, it's a good city car, fun to drive and easy to park. Service at my dealer is superb. Surprisingly, with the backseats down, it can transport quite a lot of cargo.

The design and looks can't be beat.

Extensions for the sun visors (on the 2002 they are too short to help on the sides); buttons on the steering wheel to switch from AM to FM and/or CD.

Big Kids Go Cart
By Nextboat

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I used to own a 1967 MINI Coooper S. It was great fun, but unreliable, and in the shop constantly. The new MINI Cooper S is everything I could have wanted back then, and more. Handling, Safety, creature comforts, and feels better at 100 miles an hour than most cars. We use this car to move theings when we can't use our 5 series BMW, because we can fit more in with the seats folded down. This is a great car.

Nav system, and Large sunroof.

A Leather or wood shift knob that doesn't burn your hand on hot days. Better drink holder, although there is an accessory one now.

An Excellent Adventure
By Fanfare

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Never was a car person,but LOVE this car. Great road feel,well-engineered for cheap, and an attention-getter (unforseen outcome). While no 50 mpg,I'm feeling smug with prices at $2.50 per gallon. Don't be deceived by size.Have pictures of car loaded for ski weekend for 2 adults with 3 pairs of boots, 2 pairs of skis, and a snowboard. Not even packed. Only thing I've had to borrow a car for was to borrow a ladder. Both are better borrowed. Couple of little troubles (Power steering pump {made noise,took it in}, loose battery conection {had it towed,felt stupid}, vibration on sunroof easily resealed. All under warranty,as are oil changes every 10K. What a peach. Buying out the lease.

Transmission, road feel, unobstructed view, ease of parking, radio controls, seat warmers. Appeal!

Cup holders don't support American- sized portions, but I like this. It reminds me that we overindulge.

Holy S@#%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By king mini 05'

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Wow!!!!! This car is absolutley amazing. Everything about it rocks!

The looks you get when you pass Porsches and Mercedes on the highway!!!!!!!!

Absativley posilutley NONE! Perfect car in every way!

Love this car
By shuck

2002 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drives our MINI Cooper. I wish we had two so that I could drive it all the time. I just can't say enough good things about this car.

Handling, quality of build, styling,

Just a little more power would be nice.