Used 1997 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercury Sable

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Good as the first car
By fan

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I actually hesitated before I bought this car one year ago. A year later, I think i made a good choice. The car is a good choice if it is your first car. It is safe but not stupid. It is powerful but not aggressive. It looks like a fish but not a food stamp. Up to now, I replaced the power steering pulley, the rear suspension link bar and two tires. In total, I spent 2700+ 1000 for this car, that is only 3700! And I get a fully loaded senior luxury car. I drive the car with comfort and confidence, as I know it is safe to drive such a car.

Leather, armrest.

Fantastic car
By Gina

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Bought my Sable used/private with 79000 miles on it 5 years ago. Now has 200000 miles and is not ready to go yet! I have had no major problems with this car! I commute 80 miles daily-car loves the hwy, great mileage. Car now has some issues (fixable) but probably because of age and life. Driving it to the end. Next car will be newer Taurus as can't get the Sable anymore. Can't say enough about this car. Very comfortable and powerful ride. Both interior and exterior is quite sleek. Easy to get parts. Big trunk, lots of leg room, power everything! Highly recommended. Will miss it.

Reliable, 6 CD changer, cruise, dash set-up, interior space, rear fold down seats. Power. Duratec engine, cup holder, ABS, heated mirrors, six way lumbar adjustable seat, outside temperature gauge, climate control, rims are awesome.

Problems with antenna. Would be nice if CD changer able to shuffle all CDs.

1997 Sable LS 3.0 DOHC
By Privet Sale

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I love the look, ride and feel of this car. The 200HP DOHC engine makes the car. The gas mileage is OK for a 6cyl. It handles a lot better than I would have thought. The streering has a great feel to it and the brakes stop it on a dime. The only complaint I have is the radio/heater control pod. It doesn't easily allow you to put a better stereo in it without buying an expensive dash plate.

I like the looks of this generation of the Sable. IMHO it's the best style of all of them. The trunk is bigger than I expected and the folding seats give you even more room if you need to haul some stuff around. The 200hp is great the car seems to be able to keep up with most sedans.

Like I stated earlier the dash pod is a bummer. I have a great stereo that I want to put in and the new dash plate runs between seventy to a hundred bucks. Otherwise I don't see any need for improvement. I would have likde bucket seats and a floor shifter.

Comfortable ride
By Jimster

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because we needed a cheap car to make it the end of the year. I have neever been a fan of Sables(mostly because of how they looked). After test driving the Sable, I changed my mind. It was very comfortable and easy to drive. It had about 137,000 miles already on it when I purchased it and is still going strong almost a year later.

The interior. It has a luxury look on the inside.

Air controls for the rear seats.

Very good return on investment
By Mike B. Beats

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased mine in 02 with 46K on it for 6500. In my opinion, I couldn't have spent my money more wisely on a car. I got everything I wanted in the car besides a cd player. It gave me roughly 100K miles with minimal problems. The trans went out at 145K and it costs to much to repair, given the value of the car, but it's a great car otherwise. the heat/AC is stellar. The HP is good. It doesn't handle the best, but we're not racing here. The inside is very comfortable, and my favorite part is that it doesn't draw any negative attention. It is difficult to steal too, which is always a bonus. For the money you spend, you get a good product in return. this car is a road warrior.

Heat/AC, interior styling and feel, great 6spkr sound, good freeway performance, roomy, low key, quiet, lots of options, very low price, good value, reliable starter, cargo space, familiar to mechanics, impressive to others

Rear suspension...not really mine, but everybody elses. very difficult to install aftermarket CD player. Electrical could be more secure, ball bearings seem to wear out faster than you would assume. Long car and it likes to collect annonymous dents in the parking lot. excessive freeway noise.