Used 2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Loved my Mountaineer!
By L

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this car! Very comfortable to drive and lots of room for 2 kids and their friends. Great for long distance traveling. Only things I didn't like were the poor fuel economy, I was forever filling up and a little road noise from the tires. Other than that, this is the best SUV around!

Great comfortable driver's seat and roomy interior

A little noisy!

Good Deal
By bigdaddy

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bad on gas but has plenty of power handles like a car no problem as of yet lot of room inside and very quiet ride

great sounds and the easy steering

better gas mileage

Mountaineer -Great Ride
By ceil Rydzewski

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The SUV has given me no problems.I tow a 2-horse trailer and it pulls great. Why have a truck when the comfort and tow is all in this car. I am about to buy a new one

Smooth ride comfort and luxury. Great tow compacity

Better gas mileage. Don't need third row of seats.

little problems
By roack1

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd mountaineer, and on all 3 the windows froze and wouldn't thaw till driven 15 min w/defrost hi. Wipers also a problem-froze up quickly. 2001&2004 'check tire pressure'lite always came on even when pressure was ok.I love the OD on/off-I do a lot of just riding in the mtns. Never been a problem w/ control in heavy snow-I can get right thru snowbanks when I'm plowed in. I guess I love it if I have had 3 mountaineers since 1998.

AWD, backup alarm, info panel. 3rd row seat unnecessary for me.

1998 model dash and console were better than 2004. A little woodgrain would be nice. 60/40 back seat split was better than the 3 splits. You've got to work on the windows that freeze tight and won't open!

not too bad not too good
By not too bad

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

overall i am not too impressed. i am glad i leased it and did not buy it. it is extremely poor on gas mileage. all the doors and trunk do not latch well. the keyless entry does not alwasy work. since the transmission recall my vehicle "needed" was done, it works worse. three car seats do not fit in the second row. heating system does not heat up fast enough, but the heated seated are awesome. rear speakers are terrible and tinny sounding. needs trunk release button in the vehicle (its only on the remote). mercury service stinks. I thought having a third row was a plus until I tried to get to it. BOTTOM LINE - I BOUGHT THIS AS A FAMILY VEHICLE --BAD CHOICE!!!

heated seats and it goes FAST!

need a trunk release from inside the vehicle, better gas mileage, trunk is VERY hard to close(impossible with one hand - not practical for a Mom with kids), doors and trunk do not close properly unless slammed shut, make this vehicle more family friendly!