Used 1997 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercury Mountaineer

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Great Vehicle
By Bill J

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Outstanding comfort, driver friendliness, with great curb appeal and fantastic reliability. Handles very well even with heavy trailer loads or on dirt roads. Lots of pep with V8 engine and excellent fuel economy for its size and weight averaging better than 17 mpg for over 11 years. Excellent access to trunk area with large storage capacity.

8 way driver and passenger seats. Driver friendly dash & steering wheel. Automatic lights and all wheel drive.

None

Couldn't live without it now
By 1st SUV

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Mountaineer when I became disabled: easier to get up than sit down. It has everything I could ever want in an SUV, except for better gas mileage. My kids love the moonroof, the heater for the backseat and the ability to haul. I recently moved and used my Mountaineer and a friends Durango and had it done in a day and a half!

6 disc cd changer, moonroof, seperate stereo controls in back with headphones jacks if I am talking to someone.

1997 Moutainneer is great
By Anthony Smith

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I love mine. I think if the fuel mileage was better, it would be the best available SUV. I have 121k miles and I'm hoping to have very few problems. I will recommend you purchase one used. The new ones are good but the value drops like a rock in years 1,2 & 3

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned!!!
By Linda in NC

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my '97 Mercury Mountaineer in September '96. It has approximately 235,000 miles and is still as reliable as the day I bought it. I have only had to replace the brakes, the tires (of course) and just a few miscellaneous "pieces and parts". It has by far been the best vehicle I've ever owned and if I ever do decide to trade it in, I'll get another Mountaineer. Why mess with a good thing??

I like the styling. It looks just as good today as it did almost 10 years ago and some people don't believe it's a '97. It's comfortable and roomy inside and easy to drive.

How can you improve on perfection??

Best car I ever owned
By Kessel

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought mine with 150000 mile on it it had a 197000 miles on it when it was invloved in an acident. I only thing i had to replace (other than fuilds) was a battery. the biggest problem i had was a flat tire.

All the options it can have everything. the safty is one of the greatest things i found, when i was driving to work and hit a horse on the interstate i walked away with only a few cuts.

The power antenna should have a optional off on swicth, because it could break if frozen down. mine almost did.