Used 2005 Mercury Montego Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercury Montego

View reviews for a specific Montego model:

Dream Car
By dicky

2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Excellent handling on slick roads. Braking very good. Has plenty of power for passing. CVT provides smooth acceleration. Very good view of outside.

Road handling, very stable. smooth shifting, acceleration.

Seats ned to be redisgned. Not very comfortable on long drives. Body needs to be wider behind wheels. Mud splatters up the side of vehicle

2005 Mercury Montego Review
By James T.

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I enjoy my 2005 Montego. The vehicle is very roomy and storage space is more than adequate. Gas mileage is good, the ride is firm yet comfortable and responsive, and construction quality is above average. Two problems encountered to date have been one failure to start immediately which self-corrected and has not been experienced since it occurred and acceleration from a "dead" stop is, in my opinion, below average. Also, the recall concerning the straps holding the gas tank was disturbing but was handled quickly and professionally. Overall, I rate the vehicle above- average and would consider buying another.

The interior roominess, storage capacity, quiet ride, and overall quality.

Improve the "slow" acceleration and add a mid low speed range to enable downshifting of the automatic transmission.

05 Merc Montego in shop
By montego crap

2005 Mercury Montego Premier Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Currently my 05 mercury is in the shop with a bad strut mount. I have gingerly gone over bumps so to not have this problem. I'm in my early 40's and have driven cars up to 225,000 miles, and never needed to buy a strut mount. The gas mileage is also so, so, I've been getting about 19 city, and possibly 26 highway. Boy my next car is going to be a Toyota.

Dual climate control, HID head lamps & fog lamps

Make a larger Milan, with fold away side mirrors, that would be a better looking car. Also keep the HID head lamps. And keep the Mazda engine for the bigger car.

Best in its segment
By txhoser

2005 Mercury Montego Premier Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I like the size at 200" it fits into the garage much better than my F150. The ride is smooth but not at Cadilac standards. The sound system is good but could use a sub-woofer -- and an amp. Watch out of large bumps and dips. The wheele travel is short and bottoms out quickly. The seats offer good support but are by no means sport buckets -- more for comfort which they do very well.

Two posission memory and fold down rear seats. Of all the cars I looked at in this class, Cadilac CTS offer fold down seats for $$$ and the Montego was free. Lexus, Acura, and Infiti did not offer them at all. Also moon roof retracts between of roof and headliner.

I think the gear shift lever is too low. It makes for an awkward position when shifting from R to Drive. I would like to see some different wheele choices as well.

CPA
By The Nest

2005 Mercury Montego Premier Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I am extremely pleased w/ the design of the vehicle, it is comfortable for 4 adults and luggage. Also the gas mileage is very good - power on highway is adequate - traveling 75-80 on interstate. Very roomy interior and trunk is very large. Vehicle handles very well in traffic and responds well. sound system is very good and I am just plain very pleased with the vehicle after 12,000 miles.

Very large trunk and design of the drivers seat and instruments. All at a touch and very visible. The vehicle is very comfortable for me at 6'2 and 225 lbs.

Only improvements would be to add a little power to the engine; but, I am very pleased with the vehicle as far as gas mileage. I am getting now 26 miles per gallon on the highway.