Used 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mariner Hybrid model:

Much Fun, Little Gas
By JM in Killeen

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned the car just over 1 month and love the mileage I am getting. So far I am averaging 32.3 mpg overall, over 34 MPG with me driving, 29+ with my wife driving (lead foot). I was very surprised with the accereration of the hybrid system, I test drove the v6 model prior to ordering the hybrid system to see how I liked the overall car and I believe the hybrid is quicker. The passenger space is comparable to larger SUVs, but lacks cargo room for long trips. I would like to see more options, color and materials, for the interior, especially for the primere package. Satillite radio, NAV, sync are all top notch and work well. Overall, a very fun, solid SUV. Great MPG as well as performance.

SYNC, nav, and the hybrid system all perform well. Exceeded my expectations. I expected a drop off in performance due to the hybrid system, but there was none. Merge and pass without fear.

More options, specifically colors for the interior. Better interior materials, especially for the primere package. Top package should be close to the quality you get in the MKX.

Great SUV
By JG

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted to wait until I got to drive this in the snow to give it a full review - and now I have here in New England. I have been very happily surprised in nearly every aspect of this car, from its handling and braking, to its fuel economy, to its overall comfort - in all of them it has excelled. The Navigation and Sync systems are outstanding and fun to explore, with easy-to-use podcasts and music and hands-free phone all projected through speakers, as well as real time traffic re-routing. And it does just fine even in deep snow.

Gas mileage, heated seats, leg room, Sync, overall size, handling and comfort.

Brighter headlights, easier lowering of rear seats.

2009 AWD MMH
By bikerrich

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had it about a month now; enjoying the mileage and the kick of trying to keep it on battery. Nice car for the price. A bit wallowy. Can't take curves at 60. Suspension needs some improvement. Brake pedal feels fine, don't notice any difference from my other cars.

Sync and navi system; operable rear window; suspension soaks up bumps pretty good over awful city streets; plenty of power to merge into traffic; comfy seats;

European-ize the gauge cluster; Lincoln-ize the interior; lose that crummy plastic wiper stalk; offer rain- sensing wipers; offer hid headlights; go upscale a bit; suspension needs further improvement, a bit wallowy on curves.

Fun to drive
By PghHybrid

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned my Mariner Hybrid for a little over two weeks, got 37mpg out of first tank, 34mpg with highway and city on second tank. Very impressed with this vehicle, love the Nav with Sync and Sirius. Mercury hit a home run with this one. Rides very nice, comfortable with loads of front leg room.

Gas mileage and nav system

Make it easier to run on battery, as soon as you put a little pressure on gas pedal it jumps to gas engine. It takes a soft touch.

Fun to drive
By Tom, Pgh

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this vehicle a week ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I averaged 37mpg on the first tank of gas, mostly city but some highway travel. Still learning the hybrid and how to maximize mileage, but I'm having fun doing it. The Nav system with the Sync and Sirius is awesome, it does so much. Very tight, handles well and runs well. The small engine has some pep, alittle noisy when you punch it down, but it handles the hills of Pittsburgh with ease.

Gas mileage and the navigation with Sync and Sirius. Ambient lighting is cool, although I'd never pay for it separately.

Storage for the headrest or have the seats flip down without taking them off.