Used 2003 Mercury Marauder Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercury Marauder

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (94 reviews )

Great buy and won't sell it!
By Bill Christ

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Found my 03 Marauder unsold in dealer's lot September 07 with 170 KM on it. Bought it $20K less than sticker price. Regretted buying but found I never will sell it. Even my wife loves to drive it! Gas mileage is not good, but in third year of ownership, all I worry about is regular maintenance - no problems. I stupidly installed new snow tires on 17" rims -- my Marauder is running at higher RPMs to run the smaller tirees and the traction control must be turned to off after 40 MPG with the smaller 17" tires, but with snows, I go EVERYWHERE in our Minnesota winter -- I love the my Marauder's power, flexibility, and snow travel ability!

Power for passing, Comfortable and quiet, great sounding mufflers at high speeds, Super sound system, Great for long trips - low driver fatigue factor. Pulled U-Haul as if not attached! Great looks -- draws lots of attention and praise. Police car look makes car ahead slow down -- not always good!

Paint job is super, but scratches too easily. High beams set too high, but great for dark isolated highway driving. Wish I had NOT purchased 17" rims for snow tires when 18" rims are standard - my fault -- hampers fuel efficiency and confuses traction control system.

One too many repairs
By Neil B.

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Cool car, but it's been more than 20 years since I've owned a car that so many things have broken or failed. Most are odd and surprising: lower A arms at 70,000 miles, rear axle seal at 80,000, failure of headlights (needed new Light Control Module at $400 just for the part), rusted lower steering column at 104,000. Also, a number of the interior lights (headlight switch indicator, power window buttons, heated seat buttons) no longer work. Vacuum leak in the vent system disables controls. Now it is in shop, likely needing an $800 fuel pump replacement. I love the car but I've spent $3 or 4 thousand over the last 3 years fixing things that I've never fixed before in any other car I've owned.

Exclusivity, engine, stealth appearance

reliability and durability of basic parts - electrical (lighting) and suspension

Great Car
By jimb

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Second owner, purchased at 17k miles, now have 118K miles. Other than routine maintanance the car has been completely trouble free and very reliable every day driver. Stock power is ok but a few bolt on's and my 115K car and it is faster than 07 Dodge R/T Charger. Generally I get gas pump comments from younger folks looking for a "Wide Body V8's" After all the miles I put on this ride the leather seats are still in allmost new condition. Every button and switch works just like the day a purchased it. Highly recommend this car as used car purchase.

Cars & trucks move out of way for the men in black FBI ride

The car is fast no doubt, but to heavy for stock HP. Acura's are faster of the line.

Wow
By Trash

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought my dream car. I paid too much, I don't care! The question above, that said " Fun to Drive" says it all. You step on the gas, and it pushes you in to the plush leather seats at 60+, and then you look and it says 100. Wow! The sound of the engine is a low "gurgle" unexpected from such a small V-8. Having driven it less than 1000 miles, I can only say that it handles well, but on a wet road surface it could definitely get away from you. The quiet interior is only interrupted by the mellow exhaust tones as you depress the accelerator. A pleasure to drive, I'm thankful that I'm lucky enough to own one of these modern day muscle cars. This is the direction NASCAR should have gone.

Excellent sound system, comfortable seats beyond compare, detailed dashboard, with easy to read white face dials, 2 sun visors, and superb vision all the way around.

Maybe a little more low end power, to get off the line quicker. Front airdam, & rear spoiler. Driver adjustable suspension. Manual brake proportioning valve. Bigger brakes, with cooling. Tuned exhaust. Integral "Big Bear" detectors.

2003 Mercury Marauder
By GH

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought mine new in October 2002. Just broke 39000 miles in August 2007. No real issues. Electrical system can't keep up with electrical load at idle. Reason is Marauder alternator has built in slip clutch, allows more HP at idle and top end. Pop it in neutral and step on emergency brake. Quiet and tight car. Go to Ford and purchase Police Interceptor badge for $10.00, slap it on and see the cars slow down. Car has been looked at by CHP, FHP, local PD, none has ever said take badge off. They ask wat kind of car it is; I show badge, say a Police Interceptor, open hood show engine, they say Oh yeah. Wish it came with Mustang 390 HP engine.

Black, Black, Black. Handling,looks, peoples comments, steering, cornering, soundsystem.

HP