Used 2002 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Lemonade?
By Jen

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

One year in, and this car needed the fuel pump replaced while still under warranty. CD player 6 cd in dash also ATE cd's and got stuck even after repairs to it. Needed to do the brakes sooner than would be expected. I was told that this was due to the front wheel drive or something.. Not only the brake pads, but also the rotors usually need to be replaced every time on this type of brake system. They don't tell you that when you buy it. Next came the dead battery.. at about 25,000 miles. Just as it fell outside of warranty in terms of years, not miles, it needed the alternator replaced. This was at 32,000 miles. This is when I dumped the car, ate the negative equity, leased a Mazda

Sleek look.

Take the lemon out. Fix the gas mileage. Give me a $500 gift card for my troubles. Use dent preventive material. Barely a tiny bump can cost you thousands.

Good kitty
By Tawan

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Cougar for 3 yrs and have never had a problem. My gas mileage is usually 32-33 mpg. The trunk is big enough to put almost anything in it. It lacks power, you will not win any race, but you will be the best looking slow car on the line!

Design. This is a unique car... until the Mitsubishi Eclipse started copying it.

Very pleased
By Jessica

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I seem to have a different view than most people here. I have a 2002 Anniversary edition and absolutely love it. I have had no problems and have put 8k miles on it making a grand total of 51k. I dont know if its too soon to talk but it handles great, is a comfortable and quiet ride on the interstate, and gets great gas mileage (after driving 250 miles at 75 mph I have half a tank left). For a 2dr car the back seat is very roomy and comfortable except it does not seat very tall people well.

leather seats, 6cd changer, quick to move, interior design and dashboard, and moonroof.

The body is a little round for me but thats just my preference.

Probably the best Cougar
By JR

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 cougar XR with 34,000 miles on it. Let me say i had a 1999 cougar and i thought it was sweet, this car by far beats it. The nicer interior and sweet headlights make me want to drive it constantly!

Leather red and black seats, gauges, rims, cd player, headlights.

Rear headroom (im 6'0

truemixed1
By truemixed1

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got my car just the other day and I love it already its better than the truck that I had before and way better on gas.