Used 2002 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

2002 mercury cougar v6 35th anv edt
By angela

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

well i bought this used just 5 months ago its a 2002 sport 35th sp ed of the cougar it only had 32000 miles when i got it in the 5 months i had it i have no 42000 miles on it and it already needed a new transmission!!! thank god i got a warrenty on it which paid for it but wasnt easy 4000.00 it was before that new tires and the car sits very low and feels EVERY bump pot holes not so good it is fun for me to drive goes fast i love it!

the radio sounds great and sun roof is cool

Beautiful Cat
By Michael

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Notable information about the Cougar: -The engine was designed by Cosworth. They also design engines that go in formula one cars. Pretty respectable. -The Cougar introduced ford's new Edge design. Notable among this is that the cougar is a blend between American and European design. The hatchback styling is European, the high displacement high torque engine is american muscle. It was designed to be at home on the twisty nuburing. -Ford discontinued it because the Cougar dances around the Mustang. Ford wanted to sell Mustangs because they're in keeping with the all american Ford image. They also sold them for $20K more, the same thing was done to the Thunderbird. Twice.

Appearance. It's seductive, predatory, aggressive, but still elegant. Performance. Handles better than anything but a true sports car such as a miata. It's faster than anything but a true sports car. I'd describe the car as feline- elegant, graceful, and lethal in all categories.

If the Cougar were returned to production I'd be happy with that. However, I'd like to see a higher displacement engine. Also, if it were possible to improve visibility without compromising the aesthetic I'd appreciate that.

Cougar XR Type-S, Cosworth V-6
By Heather

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

While trying to research specs about my car, I never seem to be able to find it. It "doesn't exist" according to almost everyone. Even when I needed a few parts to fix my car the computers at the auto shop didn't have my car on their list and couldn't help me. Why is this? Obviously my car exist or it wouldn't be parked in my driveway. My car is a 2002 Cougar XR Type S. It also has a V-6 cosworth engine in it unlike the base models and it was produced/manufactured by Auto Alliance, not Ford. My car also has the special black paint, hood scoop, spoiler, XR badges on the exterior. The interior has black & red leather seats with the cougar logo and XR logo carpets. Cont. in favorites.

Also, my car is standard which I have not found one cougar that was standard besides mine(so far). Hood Scoop, black & red leather seats... just about everything, especially the seat adjustments (im a very short person). This car is the best car I've ever driven. And the handling is amazing!

more information about my car.... also more upgrades available. I tried to put a super coil on my car which the site said it was the right part, tried to put it in, and the plugs didn't match. So I returned it and got another one that said it was the right part, and the plugs still didn't match.

Fun!
By AJ

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car. It is a blast to drive, especially on a windy road. Even though it is nearly 7 years old, it still looks and drives like new.

The engine is incredible. Smooth, solid and strong.

Not a great car for long trips (6 hours or more) - but great for every day commuting. Start making these again!

2002 Cougar V6 35th Anniversary Edition
By Qwerty

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

One of the best cars I've owned, easy fun to drive, got some power to it, would be nice if they could get a more powerful v6 in it

sun roof, frameless windows, 6 cd changer, the leather seats and leather steering wheel

new grill, maybe a different body kit.