Used 2001 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

I love my Cougar!
By Simone

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Cougar, ordered the 1999 sight unseen & was so happy with it that I leased the 2001. Then the lease expired & Mercury stopped making these so I BOUGHT it & have not been sorry a day. Excellent performance, have only had to replace tires, nothing else. Wish Ford would bring them back, so sporty & sharp looking!

The body style

Start making them again.

A well built vehicle
By Joseph

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my Cougar private in May 2002. The vehicle had only 15,000km and was like new. Accident free, and maintained excellent. I have had very few problems with this vehicle in the last 4 years. Although I feel I had to replace the tires quite early into it's life. My new tires are better than the originals. Not so fast when you take off, but the Cougar gains it momentum quickly into it's take off. But yes, it could have used a bit more power. Styling is great, adn more than enough interior space for the 2 front passengers. The car had huge potential, and it's a huge shame it's life has been ended. Overall, a great car.

Exterior styling

More power, at least another 30hp

Sweet Ride! Excellent Vehicle.
By Drathon

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for almost six months now; and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. Pickup in first gear was a little slow, until I installed a short air intake, and new perfomance muffler; now this car has excellent acceleration. The 5 speed manual transmission is perfect, I love the shift. Exterior of the car is awesome, and interior is nice too. My only major problem has been my sunroof. It was supposed to have been replaced before I bought the car HA! It's not any better than the old one, it still leaks. Very aggravating to come out to your car after a rain, and get soaked as you drive down the road. Overall, I love the car to drive, but, being a Ford, it does have problems.

5 speed manual transmission, exterior look, interior comfort, with small improvements, acceleration and speed.

Work on those sunroofs. Improve overall engine reliability.

Transmission Trouble
By Sue

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had to review my car after reading all of these reviews. I love my car's styling, but it's NOT the most reliable car Ford ever made. My transmission went out at 92,000 mi. Looks like there's more people with the same trouble. I've replaced tires several times and a rim that was dented from the low ride. I'm buying a Focus next time.

middle of the road
By A Driver

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Although performance doesn 't close to match the looks of the car, its been very dependable. A little over 60k and no problems, however ergonomics leave much to desire (why can't I shift if my passenger is fiddling with the radio?) and the steering is soooooo stiff. I'm not sure who this car is made for since I find the dash too high and seat too low and my husband doesn't have enough head room. In general, the seats are really uncomfortable.

body shape, very smooth ride and nice stereo

Seats, steering and sportiness