Used 2001 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Great on gas but a MONEY PIT
By richie19r

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it with 79k for my wife in 98. Has 112k now. Car looks great outside, inside is a little small. I don't know what everyone is talking about with the gas, i average 35 mpg going 60, and about 32 mpg going 70. so far, replaced both rear shocks, fuel pump, both timing chains, water pump, plugs, wires, all 4 brakes. Now I have about 3 different noises coming from the car, in which all i can't find. I'm tired of dropping money into it. As soon as something is fixed, something else needs fixed. I don't recommend it to anyone that can't work on cars!!

love the gas mileage, and the exterior styling

doesn't matter because it's gone now, but better quality engine/transmission parts. Thing breaks constantly. More backseat space, and a normal transmission, not one that shifts when it wants and wanders all the time.

Milage of a GeoMetro
By Newbie

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I get the Gas milage of a metro but the look of a cougar. I get a amazing 38MPG on the highway and 35 in town. You cant beat it. Stock as a rock with a homebuilt cold air intake. Using a K&N filter off of a V8 Mustang. Works awesome. I only have 80K and it runs great. Absolutely no complaints about the dravability.

38 MPG... need I say more

Its a Tank...
By 2carguy

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just you all know this car was pass on to me after my mom passed on last year. So far the cougar has been great to me. Although its a gas guzzler and thats do to it being we 2 tons. To me its a girls car but it was my moms so i drive it and plus it only has 33,000 on it. Pretty good for a 2001. The cougar is my second ride and so far its been fun. I see so many cougar lately on the road but i never see the one like mine. My cougar has added features that was being put on the 2002.

my car being loaded with so many extras that wont be out till next year

Well the best thing that i just bought for this car was a simply jetchip which improved so great i cant stay out of it. 12tq-15hp they claim and on a stock car it is felt. Amazing improvement. Also 4300k HIDs and an Air-Intake.

2001 Mercury Cougar 2.5L V-6
By CelicaTuner

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 71,000 miles in summer of 07. Looks really sleek. Has a fun look to it. Gas mileage is decent. I average around 24mpg city/highway. The transmission rotted through at around 80000 miles costing me $1,300. The sunroof failed to operate at around 82,000 miles. This car is a looker. Many compliments recieved. I wash and wax every weekend if possible.

Looks.

Transmission and sunroof

Mercery Cougar
By Kate8989

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar brand new in 2001. Now in 2008 it only has 72,000 miles. In 04 I did start having small problems with the fuel pump. These problems came and went for a couple years. nothing to big until this year my fuel pump went out but I was happy to find when I took it in to the dealership it was under recall so it didn't cost me a dime to repair. Although now I have a problem with the oil pan leaking then burning to make small clouds of white smoke. I took it in to be fixed which is about 12 dollars for the oil pan but since the engine sits on top of the pan it would cost about 3000 to fix all together! Other than that I have had no problems with the car, I love it!

Color! (I have a blue Cougar) the seats, and stereo

I would go get the things that are recalled on the Cougar before you have the problems I did