Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Shame on Ford Motor Company
By budgie

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used for my daughter for college. It was fun to drive, sporty and she loved it. Two years later while on an internship 1500 miles away from home in Texas it stopped working. What a dissapointment! It started with a bad alternator, one month and three alternators later, we traded the car in at a significant loss. No one could fix it, not even experts in automotive electrical systems. Don't buy this car, and if you have one, trade it before you experience this problem; it is a safety issue. Bottom line, last Ford product I ever buy, too bad, I love the new Shelby Mustang!

Sporty feel, responsive handling.

Alternator and electrical issues are major safety problems. Now I see why they discontinued the model. Don't drive this car too far from your mechanic!

Just a Lemon
By cougar

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I loved this car when I first got it. Now as I review it I actually ran out of space I can use. The list or things wrong: 6 alternators, air only works on high, sunroof will not go back only up, fuel system replaced, engine light stays on, lights inside and outside dim when you turn the radio on or air on, you can hear the motor of the air/heater when you first turn it on. I have taken good care of this car only those Ford parts have been used with them installing the parts. I was upside down in payments after the first 3 yrs so I couldn't trade it in. I would not sell this care to anyone-seriously. I looked it to the lemon law but the warranty had expired on the car.

I love the way it hugs the turns and the design of the car. My next favorite thing is all the space I get in the truck for such a small car.

I think there is some major electrical problem and maybe there should be some recalls there. I haven't had 6 alternators, now needing #7, for no reason.

No Surprise They Stopped Making These
By Tony

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I factory ordered this car in 2000 with every option except leather and the moonroof. I had warranty problems from day one and gave this car to my daughter after 3 years of frustration. It is going on alternator #5 in only 65,000 miles and we will soon dump this car for a used Honda. Nice looking car, fun to drive, but beware!!

Looks great. Handles good. Fun to drive.

Hey Ford: Outsource design and manufacturing to the Japanese next time. Small wonder your market share is dropping. I tried to "buy American"...

Lots of fun
By CougarLover

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought the cougar for my wife, and she loves it. It is sporty and very fun to drive, she rarely lets me behind the wheel. We have had 0 problems, we have not even had a problem with the fuel pump yet. ***Knock on wood*** I have had a blast with this vehicle and the silver looks fantastic. I only wish it had a moon/sun roof. But I bought used so I got what was there.

The ext. styling, and the sport seats. I am not sure I will ever get my wife off perforated leather again. Ours also is a 5 spd...a must have in a sports car in my opinion.

The trunk latch and that center console could have used a better design what with the lack of small storage and the cup holder is terrible. Then again it is a SPORTS car.

Not for what you think your getting!!
By usarfilly

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my car after my deployment to Iraq...and I wanted something sporty- Which I got, but not much else. Major issue is the engine build. Your engine light goes on for unknown reasons and after fixed comes right back on. I've replaces the alternator once and now have had trouble with the starter and the fly-wheel. So my engine sometimes doesn't start. Labor on these cars is outragious due to the unaccessability to fix what should be simple things. No other major problems accept the trunk won't unlatch with just pushing the button in your car - you have to use the keyless entry and be sure you double click that button withing 6 inches.

I love the stereo, the leather bucket seats, sporty body design(hood scoop/front lights/raised back end), moon roof, and large trunk with folding back seats.

Alternator, and any electrical issues, and THAT CUP HOLDER!!!!!! More space needed in the front for small things like change, cigarettes, sunglasses,etc. Runs loud on the highway and doesn't have nice smooth turning at all.