Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

I'll miss it
By cougarluv

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I owned this car from day one, and every trip is a joy. I loved sitting in it. I loved listening to music in it. I loved driving it. It looks so interesting and unique, inside and out. Haven't had any serious engine problems with this car at all, but a bunch of strange quirks have been showing up this year, and after having to go to the shop every other month to stop the annoyances, like the stereo turning itself on randomly, the moon roof getting stuck open, the driver's window not rolling up, etc., in addition to the repairs I've had to do for wear and tear, I think it's time to say goodbye. It's current gas mileage is still better than some newer cars you can buy today. A really amazing car

Comfy front seats, huge trunk, great sound system, good mileage, attractive look, reliable running for 6 years.

ABS too touchy when activated, not enough oomph for a V6, trunk can only be opened if you use remote next to it and have your hand ready to pull it open as soon as you hear the latch release.

Shame on Ford Motor Company
By budgie

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used for my daughter for college. It was fun to drive, sporty and she loved it. Two years later while on an internship 1500 miles away from home in Texas it stopped working. What a dissapointment! It started with a bad alternator, one month and three alternators later, we traded the car in at a significant loss. No one could fix it, not even experts in automotive electrical systems. Don't buy this car, and if you have one, trade it before you experience this problem; it is a safety issue. Bottom line, last Ford product I ever buy, too bad, I love the new Shelby Mustang!

Sporty feel, responsive handling.

Alternator and electrical issues are major safety problems. Now I see why they discontinued the model. Don't drive this car too far from your mechanic!

Just a Lemon
By cougar

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I loved this car when I first got it. Now as I review it I actually ran out of space I can use. The list or things wrong: 6 alternators, air only works on high, sunroof will not go back only up, fuel system replaced, engine light stays on, lights inside and outside dim when you turn the radio on or air on, you can hear the motor of the air/heater when you first turn it on. I have taken good care of this car only those Ford parts have been used with them installing the parts. I was upside down in payments after the first 3 yrs so I couldn't trade it in. I would not sell this care to anyone-seriously. I looked it to the lemon law but the warranty had expired on the car.

I love the way it hugs the turns and the design of the car. My next favorite thing is all the space I get in the truck for such a small car.

I think there is some major electrical problem and maybe there should be some recalls there. I haven't had 6 alternators, now needing #7, for no reason.

No Surprise They Stopped Making These
By Tony

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I factory ordered this car in 2000 with every option except leather and the moonroof. I had warranty problems from day one and gave this car to my daughter after 3 years of frustration. It is going on alternator #5 in only 65,000 miles and we will soon dump this car for a used Honda. Nice looking car, fun to drive, but beware!!

Looks great. Handles good. Fun to drive.

Hey Ford: Outsource design and manufacturing to the Japanese next time. Small wonder your market share is dropping. I tried to "buy American"...

Lots of fun
By CougarLover

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought the cougar for my wife, and she loves it. It is sporty and very fun to drive, she rarely lets me behind the wheel. We have had 0 problems, we have not even had a problem with the fuel pump yet. ***Knock on wood*** I have had a blast with this vehicle and the silver looks fantastic. I only wish it had a moon/sun roof. But I bought used so I got what was there.

The ext. styling, and the sport seats. I am not sure I will ever get my wife off perforated leather again. Ours also is a 5 spd...a must have in a sports car in my opinion.

The trunk latch and that center console could have used a better design what with the lack of small storage and the cup holder is terrible. Then again it is a SPORTS car.