Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Mechanical Nightmare
By sculotu

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

OK, the car looks sexy and when it isn't in the shop it can be fun to drive. Only 18 months old I'm already in the market for a new car. The car has been in the shop seven times already. It blows tremendous amounts of smoke when it's cold and shakes violently when starting up. It leaks water from the roof. There is a constant whining noise on the passenger side mirror (which I'm told is pretty typical), new tires needed after 15,000 miles. Paint job is spotted in places looks like they missed spots. Lost display lights while driving and "remove key" light stayed on for days. Be careful, very low front easily damaged. Unfortunately, it's not worth the money. Very disappointed with car.

Heated scarf and seats, ease of putting top up/down, turning radius, fast!

Ipod ready, stereo crappy, drink holders inconveniently placed, home-link system should be standard, improve paint job.

Road Trip
By SLicK55

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

We all know it is blistering fast, fun to drive, and a real head-turner. The SLK 55 is also a very civilized beast. I use mine as a daily commuter, and it is a joy to drive, even in heavy traffic. The car is just as comfortable on longer trips. I've just returned from an 800-mile trip, and it was one of the most enjoyable drives I have ever experienced. I was also pleasantly surprised to find I averaged 26 mpg, driving at 75 mph! Mileage was the same with top up or down.

Acceleration. Drop-top, with heated seats and Airscarf. Sound of the exhaust. The tranny. Seat comfort and style. Head-turning quotient. Great weekender car, but why not drive it all the time?

Cup holder placement. Ipod integration is ridiculously expensive, and doesn't even integrate with the nav screen. Seat adjustments are quirky, because of limited space in cabin. They don't always move the direction you tell them to, but with practice, they are very comfortable.

Fast, great looking, and safe!
By BeeGee

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

I bought my 2006 SLK55 AMG a year ago. I adored this car and its unique look. The handling was great, and it was a little rocket! Well, last week a woman in a truck crashed into me head on! She didn't see me and it happened so quickly that neither of us had time to brake. I estimate the combined speed to be about 75mph. Well, that little car saved my life. The entire engine compartment looked like an accordion, but due to the safety design, the engine dropped versus penetrating the cab. The car looked like a smashed tin can with an intact cab! The seatbelt and airbags deployed, and I escaped with relatively minor injuries. I am ordering my brand new SLK55 right now!

Safety, responsiveness, braking system, acceleration, sleek design, wheels.

Cup holders block A/C vent, shift paddles are positioned on the back of the steering wheel in such a way that I've accidently pushed them several times. Install Mark Levinson sound systems! Better than Harman Kardon.

One of a Kind
By Beauty and Fast

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased my SLK55 AMG in March 2006. As a woman, I can tell you that it is awesome and the prettiest car on the road. It is also one of the fewest of this model around which I like because I like to be different. The stares are unreal. I think it could be more comfortable in the seating arrangement and the cupholder more accessible, but nothing major. Fast car!

How fast I can go. The airscarf feature and the looks of amazement.

I still can't figure where the 11 speakers are. Tint could be better and the position of the cruise control and turn signal. Driving for the 1st time in heavy rain, I believe I found a small leak on the passenger side over the window by the black rubber part where the roof opens.

The SLK
By Marty

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Having traded a Corvette, I had no idea how exciting it would be to drive the SLK. This car feels like an extension of myself. It's responsive and performs very well. The 350 is no Corvette V-8, but it satisfies. I was surprised to find that the SLK is slightly heavier than the Corvette. It is so solid. It also has a boat load more features than the Corvette. The interior quality is far superior. The Corvette definitely has an agressive, muscular body. But the SLK is most assuredly sexy. I would definitely recommend this vehicle.

Although I have never considered myself a convertible lover, I love this collapsible hard top. With the wind screens, it's actually a pleasure to drive with the top down. Very little wind to mess my coif.

I wouldn't mind it if the interior was a bit larger and the overall length was longer. But then it would be an SL, wouldn't it?