Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

MBZ Owner
By SAK

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

We've owned MBZ's since 1986 and this is the most enjoyable of all. Like the hardtop convertible for driving in all types of weather in the NW. We swapped our '37 Ford streetrod for our SLK. It's much more practical and we drive it more. We've had no problems and enjoy every moment of driving, plus there's no room for the kids and dogs. MBZ did a great job of design and performance.

Hardtop / convertible, Sport Package with AMG add ons, looks, performance, value

Can't think of any

Not for the long run
By Disappointed

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my SLK for almost 6 years. While it's sporty, fun to drive and I love the hardtop, it's not the MB quality I expected. I've had a problem with the O2 sensor, the computer chip for the hardtop (2 times), leaking windows, recurring taillight burnout, a stuck gas guage needle, and water leaking into the electrical system. This past year I've spent almost $5K in repairs.

The hardtop.

Best Car I Ever Had
By Myron T. Chambers

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is exhulerating to drive. Powerful, handles curves as if on rails. Hardtop operates like magic. No Problems after three years!

Retractable hardtop. Handling. Power

Move the speed control to the steering wheel instead of stick on column

Fun...But...
By RedHot

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Let me start by saying how much I love my 320. Looks sleek, nice handling. Over all a beautiful car. I got a really great price for it $16,000 off the orignal sticker price. I've had it a year and have put about 3,000 miles on it. However there are a few annoyances I've had with it. For starters the driver side window leaks so forget about taking it thru the car wash unless you want to get drenched. Sometimes the trunk doesn't stay open. My mom almost got her head sliced off taking the groceries out. The retractable hard top has been fixed 2x. And the biggest pain, The brake light continually goes out. Other than that everything is ok. I get a a lot of compliments and head turns.

The body styling, retractable hard top.

Maybe put the CD changer inside, cupholders in odd place.

Fun to Drive
By Brokerbob

Traded my 4.0 S type Jag for this little roadster. That is for the wife. I'm 6'1 and I'm comfortable in the car. It's a fun car to drive! Fast, nimble, and great gas mileage. I have not had any problems with my hard top roof thus far. Fun to drive in the mountains of Norh Carolina with the top down. Haven't had any real issues with the car, mechanical or otherwise. My wife spilled coffee in the Triptronic shifter. $500 to get it fixed. Kind of a weird place to have a drink holder which sits towering above the gear shift lever in this car. I can be doing 100mph in the car and really not know it. Rides like a champ, and road noise is not as bad as I thought with the top up.

Retractable hard top roof. Gas mileage is great

Stereo controls in the steering wheel. I hate looking down to play with the stereo when I'm at 100mph plus.