1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Review: SLK230 Longterm Owner

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Review

SLK230 Kompressor Convertible (2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 5-speed Manual)

SLK230 Longterm Owner
By texcarman on

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my '99 SLK230 new.
It is the base model and my favorite commuting car.
I now have over 110K on it and it has been a very good car.
I have had what seems to be pattern failures on the vehicle.
MAF sensor right around 70K miles, K40 Relay failed at 78K and I found and re-soldered the melted connection and it has been good ever since. one could simply buy a new one, for under $100 and replace it quite easily.
I did encounter a noisy camshaft variable timing unit which was the most expensive part I've replaced, part cost was close to $400. and I'm a Euro car tech so fixed it myself.
The electrical connector on the transmissions leak fluid about every 5 year/50K miles.
I've replaced one plastic shift bushing and think the second one is now due, the parts cost is about $1.00. They are a little tricky to replace but can be done even without a special tool with a little patience, but the special tool is great.
Even though I have other MB's to drive, such as a CLK cabriolet, if I am running errands and such this is my "go to" car. It is just fun to drive. They are a bit noisy or more so than most MB's so I think they got a bad rap early on, as I recall many being for sale shortly after being purchased with very low miles many years ago. One thing that contributes to higher noise levels in this vehicle is when the rear tires get some miles on them. One might think there is a problem with the rear differential, the noise is so pronounced. With the staggered tire sizes on this vehicle, rotating front to back is not an option, so the tires do acquire some pattern wear. This is exacerbated if one purchases cheaper tires with a large block tread, so beware.

As far as mileage goes, in normal commuting, I conservatively get 24.5 mpg and have achieved 28 mpg on long highway trips with the A/C off and 70-80mph cruising speeds. Short drives of 2-3 miles with lots of starts might drop the mileage down to 22.5 or so, but this is rather unusual.

The color of my car is white and it still looks fantastic after all these years. I have used the factory touch-up paint to fill in some paint chips and the car polishes out very nicely. Recently, we drive the vehicle down to vote and was stopped by some admirers who thought the car was new. Clearly not an MB person, but reflects positively on the condition and the enduring style of this original SLK.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By lynn106
on 07/10/14 09:46 AM (PDT)

We have the same car and need to hear from you as to how you repaired the interior. It looks like a dark grey film was put over the shiny black interior on the middle console. The dark grey stuff is peeling off. We want to either find a way to remove it all or cover over it.