Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

It should Fly
By rick

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have owned Ferrari, other AMG Mercedes, several SL500's, Corvette's, and I would divorce my wife before giving up this car for any reason. I can't wait to go to work in the morning to drive down the winding grade I live on top of, and going up is just as exhilarating. This is the best car I have ever owned. I also own the S550 and never drive it....why would I?

I love the engine, plain and simple! I love that you can drive this car in traffic without seeming bogged down at low RPM's. The gearing is perfect for a daily driver.

Better stereo. And a CD changer that can be loaded through the dash. Other than that, I cant think of a thing

New to the fold
By Happy in Alpharetta

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Great car. My first Mercedes and my first convertible. Great torque and handling. A real eye catcher. Have only had it for 2 weeks and have had multiple comments on its good looks.

Retractable hard top. Really cool and very minimal wind turbulence with top down.

Nav system is pitiful. Out dated and really clunky to use. Needs improvement ASAP.

All About The Experience
By Scott

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I bought the car new and have driven in all types of conditions. It is the most amazing car I have owned and I have owned a lot! It is a sports car, racing car, convertable (Of course), city car, road car, sedate car or beast depending on what you ask it to do. It is stealty because its little brother the Sl500 or SL 550 is common and other drivers assume that is what you are driving until you turn on the speed. What a surprise in their eyes through your rear view mirror! This car is a total experience - fun. Only caution is "it eats tires." If you want performance expect to change them every 5,000 miles or so. Performance not important, why did you buy this car?! I want a Ferrari599F1 next

The total driving experience - plain out fun!

After driving 24,000 miles: None - honest!

Worth the splurge
By Kevin

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car. Great finishes. This car will certainly grab the attention of others, especially if it's the V12.

Electric retractable roof. Wood accents. Sound system, gauges, multi-function computer, comfy ride for a roadster.

Navigation system needs some serious upgrades, including a touch screen. When dropping $140k, this navi system is absolutely unacceptable. It's more form than function and takes entirely too long to enter a destination. Transmission could use some improvements too.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Mike Caron

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. Have owned 3 BMWs and Alfa Romeo Spider, the last year in the US and on and on and there is nothing like the head turning luxury and performance that you find in this automobile. I am amazed every time some kid pulls up next to me on the highway in some souped up car at how much guts this car has on the open road. Sounds good, and I've literally gotten standing ovations when the top goes down in all its glory!

The top, performance