Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Awesome
By Jaquie

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I'm a girl, but have always been a car nut. My first car was a little used Mazda RX7 which I really enjoyed, but was convinced to sell by my granny who thought I would kill myself in it - haha. Since then I've owned about thirty or so cars, most of the time buying used, driving, then reselling. Among these, have been several BMWs (3,5 & 7 series), an '87 911, an '85 380SL, a 91 Jaguar XJS, Mustangs (old and new bodies), etc.; and I can honestly say that my SL500 is a KEEPER. I love the way it handles, looks, and its reliability. I've even learned to slow down in it (a little). Definitely recommend!

Everything.

Would prefer a tilt wheel. (Or maybe I just haven't figured mine out).

Great Vaule and Superior Performance
By jayssl500

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

With 130,000 miles my black beauty is making people look. A road trip out West delivered top performance and comfort. Wished they had an auto tilt on the steering column instead pushing the button . Maintenance has always been a priority and the pre-owned warranty was well worth it. Alternator gave out at 120K, air condition replace at 60K, Headers replaced at 60K along with seat trim. All under warranty saving me over $4k. Do go without it. I firmly believe in the Starmark brand and only buy pre-owned. Front cow under bumper as well as inside wheel well covers go if you hit a parking bumper (too low) Need to re-paint and detail the interior to bring it back to A shape. Go get one now!

Overall command of the car at higher speeds is super. Great power and it moves when you need it. Seems to hum at 80MPH and at high speed if the bears are sleeping. It's just a sweet ride. Overall interior spells luxury. Great sound system.

Sun visors won't let a tall guy see what is in front of him. Need tint for windows. Tilt steering is electric but pushing the toggle switch is a pain as it is slow. Fabric side below the leather hard to keep clean. Feet always hits it when exiting. Leather steering wheel needs constant cleaning.

MB's Finest!
By MThompson

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

This is the first Mercedes I have owned and I do not believe I will ever own another type of vehicle. Both interior and exterior design are excellent and the overall quality is exceptional. The handling and reliability far exceed any expectations. This is a true driver's car! Definitely worth the price! This car is rock solid - built like a tank but handles like a sports car - feels very safe. The mechanics of the soft- top and ease with getting the hard-top in place are a true testimate to Mercedes fine engineering capabilities.

Ease of opening soft-top, handling, excellent transmission, overall power capabilities and overall quality of the vehicle (mechanically and aestetically).

Absolutely none!

Wow what a dfference
By Ray Maselli

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

The SL500 is a thrill to drive. It's fast, responsive and very comfortable. I had a 560SL 1989 before this and it was great but this car is superb in every way. Pricey to repair but the ride and fun makes it worth it. I expect to get many good driving years out of it. After all, it is a Mercedes.

Bose sound system. Exterior design. All power features. Weather radio

Raise speakers in doors so that feet don't scrape them when getting out.

V-12 SL class
By jake

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

A good ride and is very, very fast. Love the style of the body and hard top. Sweet car!

I love the V12 motor!