Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Great car for the money
By rh716

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

I bought this 1997 SL500 with the optional panorama roof for a great price and since that I have driven it a whopping 5000 miles and had absolutely no issues. I love the way this car drives (I only drive it in the summer) the handling is superb and it has a lot of power yet it is definitely a car I can and will take on a longer road trip. If you can find a car in good shape I can only recommend it prices will never be lower than they are now. Just make sure you stay away from older models (90-96) as well as the SL600 unless you have a lot of extra cash.

19 yrs and going strong
By Ed H

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL320 2dr Convertible

Purchased this Maroon SL 320 in Colorado and drove it to Spokane, WA immediately at 80 MPH I managed 25.7 MPG, I was quite surprised. At 102,000 miles it has a few issues and they will be more expensive to repair but the wife and I shop around for missing items and repair parts. We have not taken the hardtop off yet, hoping to do so before it gets cold so far it is a lot of fun to drive.

Love my buggy
By Sean

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL320 2dr Convertible

This is my 1st SL and I am having fun, Purchased it to be a weekend toy but find myself driving it more and more. i have had no maintenance issues and she is 19 years old.....finger crossed. Everything is expensive on this car so when it breaks I am mentally prepared to deal with that.
All in all...just a great and fun car!

what would you expect
By Christopher Panza

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL320 2dr Convertible

We all know the mystique behind the name Mercedes and its the same mystique that porsche and bmw and now the audi's have. Engine power and design and the blue print of a car that is/was ahead of its time. My SL is what it was when it was 100,000 of the showroom floor, an engineering marvel. Just as the porsche's I have owned. If you spent $100,000 on an American made car in the mid 90's the only ones that would be worth a damn today would be the ones never or rarely driven. German or Japanese and you cannot go wrong. Stay away from the audis however, they havent figured out the turbo debacle yet

The stance of the amg package, the wide body and the power that this v6 puts out and with 100,000 miles on it. AMG rims are still just bad ass looking.

hydrolic system for the soft top could be revised

1997 SL500 SL1 SPORT
By 97sl

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

This car is for a free spirit. Handles most superb. Never out of extreme power in any circumstance. Gets down and races anyone. An engineering feat. Most amazing car I've ever owned.

SPECIFICATIONS 1997 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Sport Base Price $ 89,900 Price As Tested $ 99,800 Engine Type aluminum alloy V8, dual overhead cams, 32 valves Engine Size 5.0 liters, 304 cu. in. Horsepower 315 @ 5600 Torque (lb-ft) 347 @ 3900 Transmission 5-speed electronically-controlled automatic Wheelbase / Length 99.0 in. / 177.1 in. Curb Weight 4165 lbs. Pounds Per Horsepower 13.2 Fuel Capacity 21.1 gal. Fuel Requirement unleaded premium Tires Dunlop SP Sport, 245/40 ZR 18 front, 275/35 ZR18 rear