Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

2008 S550 4matic with Distronic plus
By Ingo Rademacher

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is my second s class. have owned it for over 2 years and have done 42,000 miles problem free. can't compare ride to any other car that's trying to be in it's class. feels super heavy and planted on the road. 90% FWY drive MPG life average is 20.6 and i see 23-25mpg on my morning drives @77mph. I use Distronic plus (Adaptive cruise control stop-go) 99% of the time. Takes some understanding and becomes easier to use with time. The car drives me to work stress free, all i do is steer. When I come through Malibu canyon late night, i put it in sport mode and use the steering wheel gear shifters. The car turns into a WRX for just long enough ;-) and the engine goes nuts.

Distronic plus!! engine combined with 4WD, great in snow and rain. raise car 3" high with air suspension for off road or snow. seats. wood steering wheel option is so nice to hold, real elegant. AMG styling package.

Rear window shades should come standard. My 2 year old won't fall asleep in the car cause the ride is so quiet ;-)

The Paradigm of Luxury
By Ross McCullen

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I knew the S600 was perfect when I was at my local Mercedes Benz dealership, here in Houston. My wife loved it and the kids (8 and 16) love it also. (My teen girl really enjoyed the vanity mirrors), while it was nearly impossible getting my son out of the reclining rear seats. My wife enjoyed the fact that she could read and drive (I would never commend this action) in stop-and-go traffic due to the very intuitive Distronic Plus System. The COMMAND system was overwhelmingly easy and the car overall was extremely comfortable. I have owned a Jaguar XJ Super V8 and a 2003 Bentley Arnage, but they pale in comparison to this big Benz, due to the way it effortlessly combines luxury and technology

The Nappa seats (the best I have ever experienced, by far) COMMAND, Distronic Plus, rear reclining seats, ABC, smooth V12 engine,and the impressive, not polarizing looks.

Can you really improve a perfect car?

Almost Perfect Sedan
By Vincent Wong

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

As a total package, the 2008 S550 sets itself apart from all the super luxury sedans under $100K. I've owned many performance cars: CL500, Porsche 911's, BMW 7 series, Lexus LS430 etc.. The S550 by far is the most comfortable and pampering vehicle in its class. It has a perfect balance (through purposeful engineering) between performance and comfort - it's a well appointed family room on wheels. I'm in total agreement with MB's design philosophy: understated luxury as it is a true way to reflect the owner's sophisticated taste without overstating his/her presence. The S550 is a remarkable automobile.

Interior, voice commands, keyless go, iPod integration, Bluetooth, Parktronics and most of all the V8 engine.

Use Michelin tires instead of the noisy Continentals. Metal front grille. Touch or a better interface for the COMAND GPS navigation - MB should let Apple's iPhone team do the interface for the COMAND center.

The best car I have ever owned
By Dr Ted

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned many new cars incuding 9 new Sclass mercedes. I purchased a new 2007 through my local dealers European delivery program. What a blast. The hotels they were incredible. But the hotels paled in comparison to driving the new S Class on the Autobahn. My wife and I both loved that car so much that the following year we went back to Germany and got another one. Well you guessed we are going back for our third one in August 2009. As long as Mercedes keeps making a car of this quality with such a high retained value I am In.

Styling, handling, and performance, plus incredible comfort

Let it run faster on the Autobahn for European delivery cars only, it's governed at 130.

Good Car, Not Thrilled, But Good Car
By ibitty

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is a very beautiful car. Not the best, but nice. Really the best on the market right now, but not sure that says a lot. S550 best of a choice for the current market when compared to the Quattroporte, 7 Series, A8. Cars I wish it came close too, the driving feel and comfort of my 2001 740iL or the elegance of my 2006 Range Rover. I have had it to the shop twice for TPMS and a tire that kept going flat.

The bottom of the front seat that extends out. I have long legs, what a simple but wonderful feature.

Side mirrors are too small. Passenger side mirror does not tint at night and while the tilt in reverse is a great feature, the tilt then turn out renders it useless. Ventilated seats sounded wonderful, too bad no air comes through the holes.