Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Best in class Style Price.. except Value
By s4hire

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Great looking car especially with the AMG package. Great riding car in terms of comfort, performance and handling.

Design, options and performance are best in class.

Car value depreciation is below the Mercedes standard of previous years. Mercedes need to figure out how to improve the depreciation index compared to similar cars

2002 S430 : So far so good!!
By GeminiOnie

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2002 S430 with low miles and all the bells and whistles (still learning how to operate them). I love this car! It's definitely a beautiful car that gets a lot of attention, no matter how old it is! I am a previous Infiniti owner and I don't know why I didn't buy a S430 sooner! So far, I don't have any complaints on the performance. However, I will get a chance to test the limits once I take it on a long road trip. We'll see what happens!

My favorite features are the convenience controls on the steering wheel , the smooth ride on and off the freeway and the leg room.

The navigation system is cumbersome. It's not as easy to operate as it seems. Would recommend Infiniti's Navi system!

Mercedes really messed up!
By berncurio21

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

All throughout my life, my family has only owned MB cars. I grew up around them so I know about their great ride, fantastic style and reliability. My first car was a C230 and I got an SLK after that. I traded in for a 2002 S500 sports package and it was the biggest mistake. four days after I drove it out the lot, the air suspension dropped so the car was sitting on its tires and had to be towed and the repair alone cost $1400. After that repair, the brakes had to be replaced for another $900, two weeks after, my HID headlamps went out which costs another 500 bucks. In addition, the alternator started to act up at 70k miles and costs $900 to replace. The biggest disappointment!

Great engine. High speed handling. Ride quality. Prestige and class. Sexy exterior look, fantastic leg room.

Everything. I don't intend to pay so much money for a Chrysler!

7 Years and no troubles
By Spoiled Rich Boy

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I adore my Mercedes. Bought it late 2001 till now, 2008, 7 years and the biggest thing done to it are new tires, besides that, completely reliable! It was a S430V (apparently according to the salesman it's better in some ways) with some lovely upgrades (bi-xenon headlights & washers, Nappa leather, wood & leather steering wheel and shift gate). The transmission is still silky smooth, and the air suspension has not failed once. The engine is not the most powerful but still quite nippy. In general; reliable, comfortable, and I absolutely adore it. Merc's dealer network is very friendly and helpful (at least at my dealer), but they charge you for every single little thing!

Wonderful to drive. Comfy inside. Very reliable

"V" Model costs more than the normal with few included upgrades. Small satnav screen. Limited satnav locations

Attitude of MB Corp.
By Autoboy

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The overall quality of the MB 220 series has suffered from the lack of pride and attention to details that MB engineers had on previous marques. My experiences range from 4 leaking valves on the brand new car,off centered pulley, faulty command system, leaky air suspension, steering wheel that extends itself at some strange times. Most of the problems were fixed by the dealer and MB, however, they make you feel like that you're taking advantage of them. My god! I'm just trying to get problems that should not have been there in the first place.