Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Mercedes Does Not Mean Quality
By Richard Bailey

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 2000 S430 as a pre-owned. It had 56,000 miles on it, and the rack & pinion had to be replaced. It also has a high rear-end gear noise between 50 and 60MPH. The driver side sun visor no longer stays in place, and I had to tape it to the roof. There is rear vibration between 60 and 80MPH, though it has new Continental tires balanced by the Mercedes dealer. An A/C sensor failed at 57,000 miles, which caused the unit to freeze up. The CD player has started locking up, though it has been cleaned.

It is a very pretty designed car with lots of neat electronic ideas. The voice command is a lot of fun, though not very practical.

The basic drive train motor, transmission and differential should never be an issue with a Mercedes. Mercedes should own up to their mistakes and recall all their poor quality automobiles.

Business Car that has been reliable
By David Thompson

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with only 43000 miles on it. Have driven it mostly for business trips on the road and have enjoyed the acceleration, the room for clients in the back seat, the smoooooth ride and the impression the car makes. Beautiful finish on exterior. Have only had to replace a set of brakes and two tires. But I DID purchase an extended warranty to be safe. I have really enjoyed driving this car!

Unbelievable legroom in back, acceleration & top end speed, smooth ride, Bose audio system, rear windows go all the way down & have auto up and down feature, nav system, xenon headlamps, soft close doors, quietness of ride, overall styling, beautiful wood trim, neat steering wheel controls

Totally overhaul navigation and radio controls-- too much spinning required of control knob. Eliminate plastic base on seats-- it is creaky and sounds cheap. Re-do the cup holders as they impinge on the passenger seat area. Quit gouging for phone service (I refuse to hook it up-- waste of money)

I'm Happy
By Doc1

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

I've owned the following , LS400, (2) Q45's Qx4, 528e, Caddy's and Lincolns. This my 7th S class I'm very happy . it gets plenty of looks and so far in 8 months I put 15k miles on the car. Now I'm starting to see little expensive things like transmission seals, control arms, and when we very cold days like below 28 degrees the pump for the suspension stop working.luv the sound system, but it sways a little at high speeds. I've never driven any other car @ 130 mph. Gas mileage stinks in the city. Nevertheless I plan to buy another one when I can.

Sound system, super ride, looks, fun to drive, comfort, space, and the power front seat cushion, thats really why I bought the car.

Better seals like the old Mercedes so the transmission dosen't leak with such low mileage, better cushion in the seats.

I won't buy another one
By wcw

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500 has been a huge disappointment. In May 2000 I experienced many problems with it, at only 7,468 miles. Again on 8/26/2000 I experienced multitude of problems, at 11,114 miles. And again on 9/2001 at 19,492 miles. On 10/18/02 at 28,231 miles I had to pay $376 in addition to warranty covered items. On 3/03 I experienced more problems, including a defective "adc." In 2004 the electric seat became inoperative and left front door control module replaced to a tune of $980. On 11/13/04 I had to get a new air suspension pump for $500. This car's fuel gauge is still inoperative, I have not fixed it yet. I'll measure it with a stick rather than pay for a new one. This is my second and final Mercedes. It's hard to believe you can pay $90,000 for a car you only drive 8,000 miles/year and be faced with this lemon.

Comfort.

Stop overengineering with useless junk gadgets like GPS.

Mercedes S430
By R Blake

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

This the finest automobile I have ever
owned. I am looking forward to the
release of the 2006 late next year. My
only problem with the car has been the
electonics.I have had to replace the
dash console twice. Another feature of
the Mercedes is the dealer service. I
have had the car serviced all over the
eastern USA and each experience has
been wonderful.

The driving ease of the car and the comfort for long road trips. In four years I have driven 97000 miles and each long trip I arrive feeling relaxed and fit.