Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Horizon Blue Benz
By G Caillier

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on ebay and I have had it for 2 years. It handles very well and is beautiful. I wish the navagation would auto update( each time you start up) like my husbands Platinum esv Escalade. I know this was pioneering navagation. I am thinking of getting another one if I can find one in the same color.I have the s430. I choose this one after comparing the dimensions of the back seats between 430/500. The 430 excelarated faster. I have had to spend no major $ on repairs I do my A and B services reg. Go For it.

I love love love the fast acceleration. When the wiper is set on the first line- windshield wipers turn on and off by sensor. Even if a little water hits the windshield it comes on and turns off.

Better back seat a/c. Doesn't put out alot of air from door a/c vents.

Great car; expensive to maintain
By Stephen

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

Overall, this is a very beautiful car that is fun to drive. However, the maintenance, even routine, is very expensive at the MZB dealers. The car is fun to drive with a smooth, solid ride, and makes long trps enjoyable. Even police officers have commented on what a beautiful car it is. I have had to pat to replace the left headlamp assembly, and the locking gas cap several times. The entire driver's seat assembly, had to be flown in from Germany and replaced, but fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty. The entire steering assembly also went out. Being so heavy, the car needs frequent brake repairs, and goes through tires quite quickly. Nevertheless, I just love this car!

Smooth ride with a very powerful, quickly accelerating engine and elegant feel make it a joy to drive. There is a lot of interior room both in front and back. The automatically closing doors are a neat feature.

The navigaton system, though handy, could be improved. Since my vehicle was manufactured in July, 1999, replacement navigation DVDs are not available. Turning the varius interior lights on and off can be confusing. The tank for windshield water seems to be defective.

Greatest of autos
By pete

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan

Great vechile. Had front shock and strut replaced. Faced some sticker shock but for ride, control, safety, that part being air and adjustable, it was reasonable. Room, comfort, driving enjoyment 2nd to none. 40 yrs of driving experience in the mountains of NC and all, and I mean all, types of other vechile experience, this is the best of experiences.

Quiet, door closures, stereo, seat comfort, power to spare, quality of overall product, room for family.

Wake up, Mercedes
By Paul

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

This is my 7th Mercedes.The previous six were outstanding but this one is terrible. I had 3 Jaguars ('97, '00 and '03) after my 6th and I am going back. This car has 95,000 miles and in the last 2 years, radio broke-(chip-$500), air suspension-($800), lower control arms and bushings-($1,000), and right now, the AC, the passenger side window , the parking sensor mechanism, the seat memory, the seat messagers, the CD changer, the seat memories all don't work, and rust is developing at the bottom of all 4 doors and behind the rear license plate even though is is meticulously maintained. I now have 3 friends with the S series who have sworn off them and never coming back.

Rides great and has a lot of room

Quality, quality, and quality, right across the board. A $97,000 car should have a 100,000 guarantee, not a 50,000 mile. I don't know where to start on suggested improvements.

Mercedes Does Not Mean Quality
By Richard Bailey

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 2000 S430 as a pre-owned. It had 56,000 miles on it, and the rack & pinion had to be replaced. It also has a high rear-end gear noise between 50 and 60MPH. The driver side sun visor no longer stays in place, and I had to tape it to the roof. There is rear vibration between 60 and 80MPH, though it has new Continental tires balanced by the Mercedes dealer. An A/C sensor failed at 57,000 miles, which caused the unit to freeze up. The CD player has started locking up, though it has been cleaned.

It is a very pretty designed car with lots of neat electronic ideas. The voice command is a lot of fun, though not very practical.

The basic drive train motor, transmission and differential should never be an issue with a Mercedes. Mercedes should own up to their mistakes and recall all their poor quality automobiles.