Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Underrated Great Family Crossover
By yetialan

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Pro’s: I had an BMW X3 and drove the X5 along with the MDX the MB had the smoothest ride, best safety features (BMW doesn’t have third row curtin airbags), 3 rows of seating and the greatest comfort in the third row. Pricing was excellent got almost 16K off a brand new 08 and low 66 month 2.9% financing. Everything top of the line quality, metal feels thick strong and confident on the road. MB originally wanted to sell these in 06 for 60-80K. This was built to be a great cruiser like the s class. Feels like the s class and the panoramic roof is incredible. Cons: Navi not easy to use

Panoramic roof, auto rear hatch, safety, drive is smooth like butter, does not rock the kids like the BMW X series models, third row can really seat adults, can still move 2nd row seats forward to get to the 3rd row with 2 baby seats in place in the 2nd row. Bumper sensors, AMG stying

Navi is hard to use, better unpainted bumpers to prevent nicks

What to call the R-Class...Nice!
By Rodney

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My wife and I were in the market to replace our Yukon XL 4x4. We were looking at the GMC Arcadia and Buick Enclave when at the time I became aquainted with an R350 at our research lab for vehicle design and repairability review. With all of the safety features this car provided along with the amazing interior room, the R class was just right for my family of 5. I am a first time MB buyer so this may be the last one I buy or the first of many. We are so very pleased with the vehicle. It drives like a cloud. We thought we would miss the Yukon, but those memories are gone. This car provides for all of our needs and then some. We just love this car!

We have enjoyed having the back-up camera and the park assist feature. The leg room is short of incredible in this car. We opted for the P2 package, and I'm glad we did as it provides the Nav system and other nice features like the disk changer and I- Pod.

I would think that many of the options should be standard equipment (Nav, DVD, hands-free phone) for a car in this price catagory.

R-Class, Where you grow to after a van
By Heris

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My title says it all. The R-Class is the vehicle you grow to after the kids are too big for a van anymore. Teens now drive, they're too cool and big to be climbing in a van and this is just perfect. There's room for the drums and trips to the warehouse stores. It's not too tall so you don't get dirty getting stuff out of the back. It's better than a modern wagon. It's better than a van. It's better than I could ever imagine. Mercedes Benz is right on for the people that this was designed for but missing the marketing boat! They really need to interview some of us late 40's crowd. Have hand issues? Weak wrists? Carpal tunnel? You'll love how you shift gears in this jet. Lightly tap a button!

Automatic liftgate, hands free phone, parktronic laser letting you know if you're too close to an object when parking, power seats, quick touch cruise control and gear shifting, huge back trunk space when back seats are folded down, large spacious ride for 2nd and 3rd rows. My teens love this wagon.

More storage up front for large map books, room for a purse or a hook, driver drink holder moved forward, pedal adjustments. Use Hyundai's Hands Free Voice system Vs MB. Include distronics, nav, dvd, leather in base package. Darker sunscreen tint on front, drivers, and front passenger windows.

Supremely Practical--with compromises
By NYC Driver Fam of 5

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Bought this car after an exhaustive research process into every car with 3 row. Did not want giant SUV (Suburban, Esalade) and biggest new Lexus did not have comfy back row. R-Class is extremely comfy in all rows. Middle row even shifts forward allowing additional room in the rear, if desired. Car runs very smoothly as one would expect from a MB. Middle row appears to have as much leg room as an S-Class and more head room. We opted for the center seat, which is good for child, but not full width. Cargo space with all seats in place is okay, but not great. Rear seats manually fold flat like a minivans. MB did away with the 5.0 litre engine. 3.5 is sluggish and a disappointment.

Love the panoramic roof giving the middle and back rows a glass ceiling. Unbelievably comfy and spacious seats in all rows. Auto open/close gate is nice. Backup camera (should be standard) is good as well. Park-assist beeps when close to cars in front/back and very useful.

3.5 litre engine is inadequate. Must've been a cost compromise, but this very large car need more power. Command (nav., radio, etc.) is small screen, not touch screen, not intuitive. Poorly designed even compared to our prev. 5-year old Lexus system. MB should be embarrassed.

Got what I was looking for
By NSIM

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We were looking for a vehicle which could accommodate a 6 member family. Test drove most of the vehicles and finally ended up on the best one. We just love the class and comfort of Mercedes. Though I am bit skeptical about the Merc's notorious reliability, everything is fine so far. It's absolutely quiet inside and got decent accelaration for such a heavy vehicle. Overall I give it a 95% score

Spacious interior for comfortably seating 6 people, interior design, back up camera, park assist, bluetooth, memory seat and auto folding exterior mirrors

Remote start, more luggage space when all 6 seats are used.