Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

A truly outstanding vehicle
By George H. Miller

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

The MB R class with a CDI engine is the perfect all around vehicle forany household. It is very large and very comfortable with outstanding fuel economy for it's size because the diesel engine. Power and torque are amazing. My wife insists on driving this luxury car for her daily 45 mile commute. She pays for the fuel which averages 25 MPG overall and tops out at 27 with mostly highway travel.

Size, finish and power!

Don't discontinue this outstanding vehicle.

It's Not a Minivan
By Savage

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Due to the growing size of our family a car that seated 6 or more was in order. We did not want a minivan, already had an SUV, wanted a wagon or something that drove more like a car for our long road trips to the beach. This Crossover gives everyone their own room and plenty of it with a nice smooth ride. Bought used and it was well worth the price (new was out of our league), plus it has the Warranty so Mercedes service fixes almost everything.

The kids love the Panoramic Sunroof. I enjoy the roominess as I'm 6 foot 3. My wife loves the automatic liftgate, opens up with a button and the kids just climb in the back. 7-Seat option is a must. I-Pod connector is cool.

MPG is OK Windshield wiper switch is in a can't see location. I have it memorized now.

A good family car
By JW

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We traded in our Porsche Cayenne for an R350 due to passenger limitation in the Porsche. The Mercedes offered a spacious interior with comfort and luxury as well as easy maneuverability. The engine can be sluggish to start but the ride is smooth once you get going. If you're tall, you may want to think twice as there is little clearance between my head and the interior roof of the car without moving the seat all the way down. The sun visor is also tricky to put down without having to move my head back. Difficult to get used to after having 2 suv's with more height and flexibility.

Panoramic sunroof. Sound system is good and easy to use. 3rd row seats fold down easily. Safety and comfort. More rugged than expected in the snow.

Very poor front sight lines despite the sensors. Controls are tricky with the push btn start as well as the "behind the wheel" shift key feature, which can easily downshift while driving at high speeds. Bluetooth activation should be standard. Navigation system tedious.

R350
By BWoodward

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am coming from a 2007 Escalade ESV and have to say I had a lot of reservations about "downsizing"! We have 4 kids 2 of which in car seats and wow is all I can say about this car. I love that the 2nd row seats can move back and forth allowing for very easy access to the 3rd row which seats my 6ft plus 15 year old very nicely! The pick up is great and it is tons of fun to drive. Not too mention very pleasing to the eye to look at. I would say so far my only con is that it seems to have a lot of little things go wrong. Less then a month of owning it the steering column broke in my kids school parking lot and I could not turn the wheels which was scary to say the least.

I love the interior features very simple yet very nice. It seems very durable thus far. I like the sound system and the nav features are very easy to use. I like the address book that allows for phone numbers to be entered. I love the looks of this car.

I would say the tv system needs to be redone. I liked my ESV because it allowed for control from the driver seat.

For the Second Time, Bravo!
By A.Setiawan

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

This is our 2nd R-class and our umpteenth Benz. We had a R350 and an E- class in LA and now that we've moved to Jakarta, we decided to get another one this time a 7 seater and CDI to combat Jakarta's traffic. Having first bought a Toyota Alphard here, we now find it too big for self-drives and prefer the R-class. The 7 seating version makes better sense and more practical. We've now passed-on the Alphard to the kids for their activities and keep the R-class between my partner and me. We're no longer getting an S-class since the R- class also carries a lot of panache and grandeur without being too overbearing especially when we self- drive on the weekend and during vacation and not use the drive

We like the 7 seating arrangement and fuel economy of the R320 CDI. We also like the panoramic moon-roof although we hardly ever open it in smog-congested Jakarta. The quiet Mercedes-Benz diesel engine is also a big plus as it can sometimes be a little bit mortifying to drive a noisy Benz. Well- done

Mercedes ought to restyle the tail end of the car so as to not have such a retro look. And for future references, 7 seating right of the bat would be nice, instead of making it an add-on on future models thus shortening the model's life. At any rate, we're looking forward for the upcoming model!