Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Good Buy
By Joy M.

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my MB and I am just loving every bit of it. This machine is comfortable and have ample of room inside to fit 6 Adults to sit comfortably. The gas mileage is very good considering the fact that it is V8. The most comfortable part of this vehicle is that it was very minimal engine noise and the drive (specially in the freeway)is very smooth and comfortable.

Panoramic roof, park distance control

The rear view camera and phone shouldn't be optional.

Looks great, rides great.
By Karl Z

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I love this car. I was going to get a C class but the incentives for this car made me take a look at it. This car may no have been successful seller but my wife and I love this car. It looks great and rides great too. The second row is designed to enjoy the ride. The chairs are great and the Panorama view makes it more enjoyable. I bought this preowned and had nothing major except for lightbulb replacement; however, I have read multiple complaints about quality. I just keep my fingers crossed since we are planning to keep this baby for a while.

The Panorama moonroof is a must. My two years old loves that feature and always asks us to open it. Spacious. Nice trim. Crossover feeling. Not a common MB in the streets.

Gas Mileage( I live in FL) Parktronic should be standard. Blind spots. Engine noise can be heard from cockpit. With third rows up you can barely put the groceries in.

Our second lemon!
By Our SECOND LEMON!!!

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

First we had R350. Gave that back w/in 1st mo.-too many probs w/transmission, thumping noise in rear when going over bumps, back hatch, & electrical probs. Upgraded 2 R500. Trans/electrical/back hatch (even after replacment)/srs sys/ nav sys & more! Car has keyless go-it started without a key twice! Several times after backing up, verifying car was in drive position, I pressed gas to go forward but car went backwards. Automatic trans.& rolls backwds like manual going up hills. Auto shifting between gears is jerky. It lurches forward when stepping on brake. It's been lemon lawed. People say "bad luck". No-bad car! Roadside assist. Came out 2 me 3 different times in 3 bad r350 loaners! Save yourself trouble

Keep it around
By brubon

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is the best Mercedes on the highhway for comfort and drivability. Plenty of room inside for 6 adults comfortably, and as fuel efficient as my old Acura MDX...and it's a V8. Great vehicle.

Plenty of room and comfort

I was warned.
By Fast Ed

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have met a lot of former Benz owners. I didn't believe them when they said stay away. For the money, this car spends way too much time in the shop. We had one dead key requiring a 2 hour replacement drive, one dead ignition switch requiring a tow. Headlights that short out when the car is off. Many electrical gremlins. Service engine light always on (they tell me it is fine). Great looking car, lot's of room, but if you can't trust it to get home, what good is it? Maybe the last 6 cars we owned (all American I might add) we just got lucky and they never broke. Buyer beware. I would be real leary of buying a used one. Make sure you live close to the Benz dealer.

It does take 6 6' adults easily. It handles snow remarkably well. Second row is the most comfortable. The cruise control is cool to use.

It is what it is. They can't make it any less complicated or reliant on a mind boggling array of electronics. If you could just start it and drive it and only have to do oil changes,it would be a great car.