Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

No problems-Great Car
By Serving us well

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We bought this car early of "07" and have driven it from the Canadian line to the gulf of Mexico. Driving in winter blizzards and southern frog floaters. Avg gas mileage for hwy- 23to24 mpg. City-19 mpg. Great touring car, for its size it handles very well. What little warranty work we have had done, we have done it when its time for service. If this car keeps performing like this in the future, MB will have good success.

Driving comfort, Navigation

Temp.Indicator in Fahrenheit not Centigrade. Low beam head lights could be a little brighter- High beams are great.

Awesome vehicle with superior Quality!!
By Alfar16

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I traded a C300 for an R350 because of an expanding family. The vehicle has not disappointed on bit. I fit my family of four with ease and without baggage, this vehicle will fit 6 people comfortably. The car lacks a little power but is not noticeable once one the highway. No problems so far with as I've read in some reviews. The vehicle has striking presence and luxury is apparent as you roll down the street. I would definitely keep the R-350 for a long time as comfort is not comparable for this price range.

Fun vehicle to drive with your family, specially for long trips...

The fuel economy is not prime but it is a pretty heavy vehicle.

Not reliable
By Tomas Hay

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The interior set up with 6 separate captain's seats fit our family perfectly, so we almost had to get this car. Unfortunately we've been underwhelmed by the performance of this car. The gears downshift suddenly with a "clunk" when coasting downhill. The steering is "gummy". We've had this car in the dealership shop average every other month for mysterious problems like a chirping noise from the engine when idling, a recurring rubbing sensation from the bottom of the car when driving <40mph, a somewhat loud vibrating noise when coasting >50mph on fwy. The auto back hatch is slow. The nav toggle is hard to use. If the economy wasn't so bad we'd get rid of this car in a heartbeat!

sound system, seating, sunroof

fix everything noted above

Sold On It
By R Driver

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Six months ago I traded in my beloved '03 Escalade for an '06 R350. It's a keeper! It has more interior space. Performance? The 268hp v6 lacks take off, but will shoot you to high speed with surprising ease. It corners exceptionally well also. Comfort? It really will fit six 6' footers comfortably (did that) or the wife and 2 kids with plenty room for groceries. Fuel economy? In the city it's about average (if you have a heavy foot), however, highway mileage is excellent. We (3 adults, 2 kids, and travel bags) drove from NY to NC on a full tank (500mi). We cruised at 80mph.

Sport/comfort dampening controls, panoramic roof, interior space, reliability: I bought it used (43,000mi), took it to a Benz dealership for an 'A' service even though it was only scheduled for a 'B', and 12,000mi later. No problems!

Opting for the 303hp v8 of the R500 would probably curb my yearn for more horses, maybe. But with limited rear and rear/sides views, Parktronic should be standard on any R Class. Fog lights should be, too, with HID options.

Looker - not driver!
By Wayne

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have two boys, my partner and three dogs. we needed to upgrade from our '05 E-Wagon. It is too bad that with this larger wagon you lose touch with the road. It is very comfortable and spacious, nice to look at but not fun to drive. OK on the highway but take it onto a winding road and yuk! You are able to steEr out of an emergency but it does not hold the road. This is my 11th MB. A little bummed but will probabaly be back for a smaller one!

Highway ride, glass roof, looks

It is just too big for me! No suggestions!