Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Never again for Mercedes
By jhduesterbeck

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I traded in my Cadillac Deville that had no problems with 112,000 miles (never one repair) for this SUV assuming that it would be more reliable since it was made by Mercedes- Benz. Was I wrong. After 55,000 miles I had to replace the drive shaft. Then the harmonic balancer went out and took everything else out with it, that cost 1200.00 and turned out to be a recall. M-B reimbursed me 200.00 of the 1200.00. I have also replaced the transmission, transfer case, rear shocks, front struts. I have put almost 10,000 in repairs in this vehicle. The only good I have to say is the safety. I was the first car rearended by a surburban in a 4 car pile up and neither myself or daughter was hurt.

Crash safety. Power. Bose speakers. Great in the snow.

Everything mechanical needs to be replaced. Back drink holders. Less rattling.

Owning a '99 ML320
By irishpigdog

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I love the sensitivity of the gas pedal and the ease of the steering wheel, but the gas mileage is pretty sad. Handful of electrical panel problems, but nothing major. No engine problems so far from owning it for six years. Good vehicle.

Acceleration for SUV.

Electrical panels.

Junk
By cthorin

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Everything starts falling apart at about 80k. We've spent well over $2k in repairs in the last 6 mo. and I was just told that we've got an entire page of other issues that need to be addressed as I had it at the dealer for our third recall! Last recall we paid $1200 in repairs before they issued the recall. After telling us they'd reimburse us we had to wait 6 months before Mercedes did so, and only after we had to start legal action. MB is not even close to being in Toyota's league. It's disgraceful what they charge for these vehicles/service and unfair that only a dealer can check fluids. MB service shouldn't be required to keep the vehicle from repairs.

Cargo net is perfect for the dog.

Cup holders! They break easily and are too short to have any real purpose. Build a more reliable vehicle. Allow others to service your vehicles.

Great design and ride but quality stinks
By Island

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned a '99 ML320 since new and it now has 105,000 miles on it. I love the ride and utility of the vehicle and to be fair it has never failed to start nor has it ever stranded me except when the battery failed (and then a nice MB tech arrived to replace it at cost of battery). That said, the quality stinks. The car has been in the shop about 20 times for various bits and pieces failing or falling off. Everything from rusting lug nuts (within 90 days of new) to a failed steering sensor (requires replacement of entire steering column). This car is expensive and annoying to keep on the road. Final insult is that now the driver's door has penetrating rust. Buy a Honda Pilot instead.

Design, utility, highway manners, comfortable driving position.

Quality of components. I have replaced instrument panel, fuel tank, various engine sensors, radio/CD, power window switch (same one twice), fuel gauge, cupholders, multiple trim pieces and other electronic gremlins. No excuse for such lousy unMB-like components.

Great car
By CaptainO

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This has been an extremely reliable vehicle. I seldom have to take it in for anything other than routine maintenance.

Bose radio, heated seats

Flatten out the cargo area in the rear