Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

AWFUL VEHICLE ALL AROUND
By luke702

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I don't know what you people giving this car a good review are smoking, but what I do know is that drugs are bad.
I've had about 21 vehicles so far, and the 99 ML320 is the most awful, poorly built, unreliable, thing (not a car!) that has ever been sold on this galaxy.
The car was well kept and still it has 177k miles ONLY running because I have basically rebuild the darn thing.
EVERYTHING on the car has gone bad! a few things such as clutch fan, a/c compressor, cold/hot air selector motor have actually been changed a few times!
Other than that, name it (radiator, electrical components, all cabin controls for everything, drive shaft bearing, catalytic converter, suspension, etc) went bad

Stereo (which is aftermarket!) It is somewhat comfortable (although the ride quality is bad)

Improve humanity as a whole by scrapping every single one of these things (not a car).

Excellent Vehicle!
By pacquio78

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Hey Guys! It's Gavin Back With The Updates On My 99' ML430, We Got Her Up To 306,000 Miles! Still Running Strong, Except For A Faulty Fan Clutch, But We Decided No To Put Anymore Money Into It Since We're Starting To Look At The New 550's. But The ML430 Was Definitely The Best Car I've Ever Purchased, And It Will Stay On That Position On My List! I'm Gonna Miss Her When She's Gone, But She's One Strong Girl!

Exterior, Interior, The Power, Handling.. EVERYTHING! (Except The Fan Clutch)

Nothing!

I loved my ML430!
By Pette_Shops

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my ML430 pre-owned(1 other owner) in 2004. The car was well taken care of and the maintenance books showed that the original owner KEPT THE MAINTENANCE UP on schedule!! When I purchased it had 40k miles at 5 years old at the time. I too kept the maintenance up with a VERY good Mercedes Benz dealership and this SUV did not give me 1 problem, until 5 years later at 120k, normal wear and tear and aging. At that point, any car will need replacement maintenance. I really enjoyed my ML 430, this has been a very good car to me and my family. Safe, reliable, beautiful...it aged very well, people were shocked that it was 10 years old last year! I look forward to my next M-Series!

...Its a Mercedes, what else can I say...The overall look(sleek), safety features, reliability. Very fun to drive. Very room, for a mid-size SUV.

Miles per gallon, wind noise, not as smooth as I would have liked the ride sometimes...even for a luxury SUV.

Do not buy the 98-99 model!
By Crazy4U

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car is awful! Bought it at 82k and now has 115. At 85 had to change oxygen sensors. 100$ each. So $400. Engine coolant started leaking at 88k, had to change the radiator. 120. This car is just awful. Good comfort.

nothing

everything

Twelve year experience with ML320
By Island

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have just traded in my 1999 ML320. We had a rocky relationship but it did last 12 years so it was not all bad. Frankly I loved the basic design, drive and utility of the vehicle. Maintenance was very very expensive and reliability reminded me more of GM than Mercedes. However, it never failed to start except when the battery died every four or five years so it did serve as reliable transport. So many little and bigger things required maintenance however that it was simply not economical to own and would have been cheaper to walk away from four or five years ago than to keep on the road. I finally threw in the town when the transfer case started acting up and repair was over 5 grand

Flexible cargo space. Comfortable highway ride and competent off road ability. Comfortable driving position and seat.

The 1998 and 1999 MLs were simply maintenance nightmares. Mercedes should have had a multi thousand owner loyalty program for ML owners. They didn't and I now own a fine Japanese replacement (CX9 Mazda) that is more reliable and way less to maintain. All for 20K less than the new ML.