Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

ML320 3.2L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (63 reviews )

Sue For the Key Problem I did and won
By susan

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Never buy first year of new model. The main problems are only 8 keys allowed to be made. I had 6 keys replaced first year by Mercedes who never told me that once you hit 8 keys the whole locking system must be replaced for $4500. Should have been a recall. I sued in small claims court and won. Windows switch bad in all of them. I have replaced 4 times they only last 3 months. Should have been recall. They knew these problems all along but it was cheaper for them if people sue then do a recall.

Never buy a Mercedes, now big ripoff

very great experience
By pete mac

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This is one of the best Mercedes I have ever owned we purchased it with 170k now it has 195k year later and you won't know it if you drive it it gets great gas mileage compare to the other similar suv's the wife loves it but getting ready to get similar one little bit newer very happy from this ml.

1998 ML320, 175,000 miles
By Vicel

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have to agree with most of the reviewers. This is one bad MB. I've owned 3 MB but this is worst of all! From the day I've picked-up this car, I've had so many problems for next about 5-6 years. I've made so many trips to dealers. Luckly, many of the problems were fixed under warrenty. Many times, dealers would fix additional items without telling me though. Real poor build quality. However, I have to tell you that after all those repairs (all done at the dealership), my car has been "Finally" running real nice. I now have 175K miles and really runs very nice. I think it was after about 90K miles this car runs nice. I still would not recommend any one to buy any Mercedes models!

Strong engine and transmission. Roomy cargo.

Everything else! I mean everything!

It's been a good car.
By DI

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

We bought the car used with 64,000 miles on it. It's been a very good car, fairly reliable, but routine maintenance at the dealer has been expensive. Good gas mileage for it's size, good cargo area for my needs. Now has 112,000 miles and motor still great. Never left me stranded, but my clock stopped working last year and instrument panel would have to replaced at a cost of $1,000, so not doing that. Comfortable for me, but not my husband who is tall... he doesn't have near enough leg room, and even getting into the vehicle is a tight fit for him. It needs about another 6-8" of leg room for people over 6 ft. Back window wiper is loud. I still have the original radio which is pretty useless.

Styling, motor, good gas mileage for highway driving. It's been dependable, and handles bad driving conditions well. Paint and body still look great.

More leg room, better cup holders, better placement of high beam light. I can't see behind steering wheel at night. Better sun visors with extendable insets to help block sun.

Engine light on & works fine? Read this
By James

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Living in the heart of the Colorado Rockies I am surprised at how my ML320 performed in unforseen conditions on back forest roads, however I wish at times it had a bit better off-road capabilities (ML has the same clearance as LR Disco). My driver window regulator too went bad, a $200 repair. Also the check engine light has came on, if you get your codes read and it says fuel trim malfunction, there is a 95% chance your Mass Airflow Sensor needs replaced (located on the air intake hose just after the filter going to the motor)This will cost anywhere from $180-300 depending on where you get your parts but is an easy DIY when you have the part. Good overall SUV if you can afford well mantaince

Lots of room for entertainment add-ons under rear seat (DVD player ect). Love the look, could use more chrome. Great for long trips.

Benz, stick to your quality reputation and dont skimp out on cheap plastic parts. Larger fuel tank, or better MPG.