2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Coupe Review
Pros & Cons
- Premium-feeling and well-trimmed interior
- Many standard safety and technology features
- Surprisingly comfortable ride quality, given its performance abilities
- Even the pavement-pounding AMG GLE 63 S is easy to drive around town
- Roofline compromises backseat headroom
- Cargo space is similar to that of a compact SUV
- Only two trim levels available
- Heavy, with minimal off-road capability
List Price Range
$50,777 - $75,990
Used GLE-Class Coupe for SaleSee all for sale
Which GLE-Class Coupe does Edmunds recommend?
As much as we like the idea of the AMG GLE 63 S and its outrageously powerful twin-turbo V8, it's spectacularly more expensive than its baby brother. For that reason, we'd start with the standard AMG GLE 43 and tick the boxes for both Premium packages. These two packages add a plethora of advanced driver aids and a few neat luxury upgrades; even better, they don't increase the bottom line by much. Add the massaging front seats with ventilation and you've got a sporty SUV loaded with desirable features.
Edmunds' Expert Review
It's tremendously powerful and agile for its size, but you never forget just how heavy this GLE Coupe is. It's civilized when you're just cruising around. A puzzling vehicle, it's effective in the same way a gold-plated hammer is.
It has well-shaped seats and better noise isolation than you might expect. The GLE Coupe rides better than its primary competitor, the BMW X6 M. The engine sounds terrific.
While finely trimmed, the GLE 63's cabin suffers due to the low and sloping roofline, which eats up interior space. There's surprisingly little space inside given the gargantuan outside dimensions. All of the downsides of a large vehicle with none of the upsides.
Cargo space is limited, although the cabin has plenty of nooks for smaller items. If utility is a priority, look to the standard GLE-Class SUV, not the GLE Coupe.
We're happy to see Apple CarPlay make its debut in the GLE Coupe, but the lack of a touchscreen makes it all but unusable. The control and adjustability are beyond what the COMAND interface can handle. The touchpad and dial are two separate systems, and actions and motions don't carry over.
Features & Specs
Our experts like the GLE-Class Coupe models:
- Surround View System
- Displays a top-down, 360-degree view of the GLE Coupe in the central display screen, making it much easier to park.
- Active Brake Assist
- Scans the area ahead and warns you about potential forward collisions. Can automatically apply the brakes as well.
- Detects imminent collisions or rollovers and tightens the front seat belts, adjusts the front passenger seat and closes all windows.