2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Coupe Review
Which GLE-Class Coupe does Edmunds recommend?
The GLE-Class Coupe in AMG GLE 43 trim is the easy choice here. It's simply far more affordable than its AMG GLE 63 S big brother. Though it gives up some performance, the AMG GLE 43 looks nearly identical to and shares many of the same features with its beefier big brother. The Parking Assist package is worthwhile, and Mercedes' terrific adaptive cruise is part of the reasonably priced Premium Package 3 that includes a host of other driver assistance features.
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Premium-feeling and well-trimmed interior
- Many standard safety and technology features
- Comfortable ride quality
- Roofline compromises backseat headroom
- Cargo space similar to that of a compact SUV
- Limited trim level selection
- Heavy, with minimal off-road capability
|Overall||3.0 / 5|
It's tremendously powerful and agile for its size, but you also never forget just how heavy this thing is. It's civilized when you're just cruising around. A puzzling vehicle that's effective in the same way a gold-plated hammer is.
It has well-shaped seats and better noise isolation than its large, wide and sport-oriented tires would suggest. This rides better than the X6 M. The engine sounds terrific, and extraneous noises have been well-tamped.
While finely trimmed, the GLE 63's cabin suffers due to the low and sloping roofline, which eats up interior space. Surprisingly little space inside, given its gargantuan outside dimensions. All of the downsides of a large vehicle with none of the upsides. Its non-"Coupe" straighter roofline delivers more space.
Cargo space is limited, although the cabin has plenty of nooks for smaller items. If utility is a priority, look to the GLE-Class SUV, not the Coupe.
Features & Specs
Our experts like the GLE-Class Coupe models:
- Attention Assist
- Monitors driving behavior and can automatically alert the driver with visual and audible warnings if it detects signs of drowsiness.
- Active Brake Assist
- Scans the area ahead and warns you about potential forward collisions. Can automatically apply the brakes as well.
- Detects imminent collisions or rollovers and tightens the front seat belts, adjusts the front passenger seat and closes all windows.