Used 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class Consumer Reviews

Used GLC-Class for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Great luxury SUV with some minor refinement issues

Len Kun, 01/26/2016
GLC300 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Overall it's a great vehicle. The price can quickly go up depending on options selected. And in order to get certain options, you must select another package which increases the price further. Plenty of features, but surprised that a few aren't even standard considering it's 2016. Features such as keyless entry (MB calls it keyless go) and any color other than white or black is still an added cost option. Most models in dealership comes with the high end stereo system, panoramic sunroof, heated seat, which add to the cost but not providing a lot of value for certain region. You must special order in order to get close to what you want. The quality is good and design is nice. A few trim pieces felt cheap because of plastic feel. The ergonomic is poor, but that's typical German where common logic isn't a high priority on their design. The center console with the touch pad and wheel is over complicated and difficult to use, a lesson they need to learn from the Japanese, or take a page from Apple in design. The gear shift located on the column is awkward to use. And then the turn signal, lights, front & rear wiper, and washer are all located on one stalk on the left hand side along with another two stalks for cruise control and steering wheel adjustment as well as the paddle shift. The steering wheel already have many buttons. I think it's overly complex and not very user friendly. So far during the first month of ownership, a couple issues creep up already. One is the rear camera for parking which is unreliable because the image could freeze or goes black completely. Also some squeaking sound from the dash which is a reflection of NHV control. But this is typical for a first year model of a new design, but it's a Mercedes and these should have been ironed out during quality control testing.

Classy, Sporty, Quiet Ride = Jack Pot MB

Electricvette, 01/19/2016
GLC 300 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

OK I'm a car guy. I spend way too much time looking at cars on the web and to tell you the truth this car was not on my radar because I thought I was going to buy 1 YO used. So I did my obsessive planning for about 3 months and spent 12 hours on a Saturday looking at cars. Problem was I just could not track down the car I wanted so we went from used to new. I loved the 2016 BMW X3. Its nice nice nice but it was the 1st car we drove and should have been the last because that was the car I thought we would buy. Drove the Audi Q5 but it's dated and is in need of a face life. My wife liked the Q5 seats the best. We also drove the Lexus RX 350 (AKA the space ship) liked the interior but the exterior lines are way too sharp. We were pulling out of the Audi dealer and I saw the Mercedes GLC. I knew about it and liked the looks but it was a 2016 and I was thinking 2015. So we took it for a spin and WOW it was smooth, love the transmission (A+ MB) it is quiet inside and has the rounded exterior similar to the Porsche Macan I think. The Tech is really good too. So the dealer only had the demo and we wanted a different color so we drove to Seattle (30 miles) and did the deal. (1500.00 over invoice) Very happy! My wife loves it. We drove it about 70 miles today and got 29.6 MPG mostly highway. Ok here is my follow up after 2 1/2 years and 50k + miles. Last Friday (the 13th) my wife was involved in a head on collision. All the airbags deployed and the car is a total loss but this car not only saved my wife it did it with very little impact to her body. Yes, she is sore and has bruising on her chest and her little finger/hand but I am amazed after looking at the car that she did not get hurt worse. Another thing is I couldn't believe that all the doors still closed perfectly. Needless to say we are now going to buy another GLC 300 4matic. THANK YOU MB! You are very serious about safety and your product shined even when wrecked. This is what you get with Mercedes Benz.

Only really one complaint, otherwise stellar

Kevin, 12/14/2018
GLC 300 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Acquired a dealer-loaner 2016 GLC 300 4Matic with 800 miles and saved about $4,000 under invoice. The windshield had a rock chip directly in front of the driver's eyes and the dealer attempted to get it repaired - wife still not happy. Dealer replaced windshield with a MB windshield. So, good on the MB dealer. Now, on to the car... It is an absolute dream to drive. The door/window seals are absolutely amazing. Coming from Hondas and Volkswagens for the past 25 years, this car is definitely better than any of those when it comes to quietness and air noise. The windshield and two front side windows are "acoustic glass", which also aids in the car's quietness. The car has 4 different dynamic settings and 1 user customized programmable setting. These allow you to change the steering wheel feel, the air conditioning, and the engine shifting into pre-packaged settings (Sport+, Sport, Comfort, Economy, User). The 9-speed transmission shifts like butter, but we all know that if it ever needs to be rebuilt it will be a lot of money (any 9-speed from any manufacturer really). On to our only complaint - the brakes. They are powerful and work flawless in stopping you. However, when you are reversing and the ambient temperature is cold (Winter), they will squeal louder than you have ever heard brakes squeal before. My daughter can hear her Mom from 3 blocks away and around the corner when she is reversing out of the garage. The problem seems to start at around 5,000 or so miles on the car. The dealer serviced the brakes by replacing the pads and they were silent again - until the next cold weather season, where they squealed again. They have had their brake supplier redesign the pads and such, and I believe they are having better success. We also decided to install a garage heater, and now the brakes aren't squealing as we back out of the garage. The other issue, and it isn't related to the manufacture of the car, is the tire they decided to put on these cars - run flats. We drove this car like a cream puff, and our tires needed replacement by 19,000 miles (most are getting barely more than 15,000). After a lot of research, we decided to go with a standard tire. Wow, what a difference!! No car should have run flats in my opinion. They are heavier than a standard tire, have poor cornering, are difficult to repair, and are costly. The only problem is that MBUSA does not offer a spare wheel for this car. So, after more research I got a spare wheel on eBay for a different model of MB that fits on this car - problem solved! I also carry a small inflator and some Fix-a-Flat as a 2nd backup. And if we are local, we would just have the car transported to the nearest MB Dealer on a flatbed for a tire change. The upgraded Seinheiser sound system is out of this world for OEM. MB puts the subwoofer in the driver footwell area in the firewall area - genius! Many cars have idle-stop engines, and so does this. We don't really like it. If you stop at a traffic light, the engine will stop, and it is perfectly silent. As you take your foot off the brake, the engine will quickly start back up. However, if often does this with a small shudder. Apparently, the MB engines shudder less than many other cars, but nonetheless, it shudders. I also believe that these countless on/off cycles are not good for the engine and/or starter over the life of the car. And fuel savings for this feature are negligible. After you start the engine, you can deselect this feature off. But you cannot deselect it permanently. The back hatch is excellent. You can program how high (or low) it stops at the top travel limit. And the back seats sit perfectly flat when selecting them down in the cargo position, making for a really nice, flat, and large space. The seat heaters are very quick to get hot and have Low/Med/High positions. The steering wheel is quite thick, which makes for a nice feel in your hands. Wife mainly drives the car locally, so she gets about 24 MPG. If I drive it on the highway and do the speed limit, this car will get about 32-34 mpg. Otherwise, it easily gets 29 or more when you are cruising along at 70-75. Obviously, the need for premium fuel is a bummer but is common amongst luxury German car brands. Overall, a 5-star product, as the brake squeal has mostly diminished and the move to non run-flat tires changed the handling for the better.

I finally found THE PERFECT CAR

EJ Perryman, 08/16/2016
GLC300 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

I am a Honda and Subaru owner who usually keeps her cars for 15 years. Those brands are not known for having impressive interiors, but the cars ran great, were reliable and had good resale. When it was time for a new car I spent 3 years looking for a car that was a little higher than a sedan and had some cargo room, but was also not too big, was super comfy and handled great. I could not find that car at Honda or Subaru. I did however find it at Mercedes Benz. The GLC300 embodies all of those qualities and then some. If you want a car that feels like it was made for you, that makes you look forward to driving, then you have found it in the GLC300. The cabin is quiet, the seats are great, the multimedia is second to none (get the larger 8.4 inch screen), the Burmester is the best sounding factory audio in this price point, the handling of this car is dreamy, it has great acceleration. I guess the only negative about this car is that it's not a Honda or a Subaru with proven reliability or resale value. But since Honda and Subaru refuse to make comfortable, luxurious vehicles with great tech, audio and handling, it's MB for me for the next 15 years.

Small Luxury SUV that Lives up to its Name!

GLJ, 06/05/2016
GLC300 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Finally...been shopping all the small luxury SUVS and this one REALLY lives up to the word luxury! I tried the Lexus NX for a year...I'm sorry...noisy, cheap plastics everywhere. It seemed more like a $30k SUV, and not the $45k sticker price. The MB was a bit more, but it has REAL leather, better acceleration and sporting feel, and luxury feeling materials all over the vehicle. I've only had the GLC a month, but it is far above the NX in terms of luxury feel and performance.

So far so great!

PS Horn, 06/10/2016
GLC300 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Have had the GLC about 3 months and have about 2000 miles on it. It does everything it is designed to do. It is a pleasant place to sit in in traffic and move about town, but can quickly change character if you wish. Just downshift with the paddles or change the driving mode. Mileage has been decent considering my mostly city/traffic driving (about 23.5 mpg). Like BMW, the GLC shuts off the engine if you are stopped for a few seconds. Since the car is so quiet I do not notice this, and so I think it helps with some of that city mpg. My friend who just got a BMW X1 turns off the auto shut off because he says it's annoying. Possibly because BMW wants you to hear the engine - so I can see what he means. My only quibbles are things I knew about the car before I got it - getting in and out takes a little bit of effort, unlike my old RAV 4 which was so easy. However, the GLC seat is incredibly comfortable. Rearview from the side mirrors are only so-so, but the Blind Spot Monitor takes care of that. The Burmester stereo is great, but I would recommend using .wav files which are uncompressed. The 2 USB ports, the SD card, and the 10.8 GB harddrive mean that there is about 200 GB of storage (64 GB max for USBs and SD) - so that's approx. the equivalent of 20 GB of compressed music. The difference in sound is worth it to me (e.g., Lexus does not play .wav files through the USB; BMW does, though). The active safety feature of warning/stopping the car if you get too close really works. It does, however, beep at me when the car in front of me is almost finished making a right turn and I have not braked. Better safe than sorry, I suppose. As far as all the buttons, etc., I found that after a few days I easily got used to it. Still finding some neat little tricks here and there. Another thing I really like about this car is how MB packaged the options. I got everything I wanted and did not have to pay for the things I did not want (e.g., sunroof), compared to BMW, say. Also, I got a pretty good deal, about 9% off MSRP at the end of January.

MB should be embarrassed - 6 mos old and regret!

lorri, 12/29/2016
GLC 300 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

This is my first and likely my last MB! I did the research and ultimately decided on the GLC 4MATIC SUV (BMW X3 , Acura RDX and Audi Q5 were closely considered). The smooth ride, MB reputation, customer service (boy was I wrong!) and safety record sealed my decision. At 6 mos. old and only 3K miles on my car, the SCREECHING brakes are SO incredibly loud that I have switched cars with my husband. The brakes wake my young daughter up from a sound sleep as I am backing out of the garage in the morning. My neighbors and colleagues have asked multiple times, "What is wrong with your brand new car?" This is not a small squeak, but a screech that turns peoples heads! This is evidently a known problem to MB and they have no solution to date. My car is currently at the dealership for a 'temporary fix', which the service manager admitted will only put a brief bandaid on a larger problem that MB has yet to formally acknowledge to its high paying customers. No letter from MB. No phone call. No email. Nothing. Just me calling and complaining, with the dealership ultimately putting me on a waiting list for several weeks to have a temporary fix implemented. Sorry MB, but this lack of acknowledgement of a problem and disrespect is not going to earn you my loyalty. How do I know if the car is even safe to drive? MB - I'm very disappointed. I've waited a long time to purchase a brand new car that I've worked very hard for. Potential customers be warned and go with another option IMHO.

Major brake issues no replacement parts for months

Mike U, 12/18/2016
GLC 300 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Deafening brake screech! Not a squeak or squeal, but a screech. Has been an issue for months, dealer says no parts for 2 more months

MY Mercedes is an embarrassment

Rosanne, 02/26/2017
GLC 300 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

The brakes screech when backing up. They are so loud that the neighbors don't want us to pull out early morning or evening. People complain we wake babies and make dogs bark. Dealership has been saying for months that Germany is working on a fix and parts are coming. Its been over six months no one call us back anymore. They did mention it is Motor Trends Car of the Year and they can't keep them in stock. Question... should they be selling them knowing this is a serious issues?!!!

Great CUV/SUV

Shana Lardi, 09/14/2016
GLC300 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

My GLC300 is the 2017 model and this car is by far the best value in its class especially compared to Lexus 350, Audi Q5, Infiniti F35, & Volvo XC60. Pros: Smooth ride, nice handling and feels sporty especially with dynamic controls, roomy interior including decent backseat legroom for growing children, like the parking break option while waiting at light/traffic, good value for standard features and packages. moon roof is a great option, gas mileage and safety features a plus, and spacious cargo area. Cons: Infotainment system controls are ridiculously confusing and cumbersome, too many repetative knobs and features, if main screen was touchscreen it would make it much easier. Shifter, wipers, lights, & steering wheel adjustment are all on the steering column which takes a little getting used to and it sometimes feels a little clunky when accelerating from a dead stop. Overall, pros outweigh the cons and it is a nice looking vehicle.

12345...6