Used 2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews

$39,998

Used GL-Class for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

GL Diesel: Great SUV Sluggish Performance

Eddie Brannon, 12/08/2015
GL 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7A)

This is one of the finest SUV's available being beat only by Land Rover Range Rover Diesel which lists for about 25-30k more. The GL's acceleration is sluggish and is much less nimble than my X-5 diesel. The GL offers more space than the BMW and has excellent fuel economy given its size. The premium package excludes adaptive xenon headlights and 3 zone climate control which is ridiculous. The standard halogen lights are anemic at best so it is imperative to order any Mercedes with xenon lamps. Do not purchase a Mercedes without upgraded headlights! Another bad call by the manufacturer was not to include as a standard feature 3 zone climate in a vehicle with a third row. Make certain your GL has 3 zone climate control otherwise you can be certain the third row will be very uncomfortable in summer months or warmer climates. My car included the rear seat entertainment package. The operation of this package is by remote controls so is beyond my four year olds ability rendering it useless. Furthermore the rear monitors can only be operated from the rear seats. Skip this package an I-pad is a much better choice. There is only one USB port in this car. Mercedes seems to lag behind its US competitors in amenities and technology. The car has many attributes and is the most practical SUV currently being marketed. Until something better in its class comes to market this still is a hard car to beat.

A 5000 mile report

Bruce, 11/08/2017
GL 350 BlueTEC 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

We've owned our 2015 GL diesel since early summer, and just completed a 3600 mile camping road trip through the 4-Corners region, involving highway and off-road travel with the truck loaded to the gills. we averaged 26.4 mpg for the trip as a whole, even though freeways in Utah and some of New Mexico were 80 mph. The front seats are very firm, well contoured but we used soft seat pads from Costco for 8 hour drive days. The truck handled very well off road an freeway driving is extremely comfortable. The turning radius is quite remarkable, well less than our prior Lexus LX470 making parking and maneuvering easy. The engine did have a "check engine" light go on, in Nevada, and was checked at a Reno dealership who said no problem to continue the trip--it turned out to be a faulty exhaust temp sensor, since replaced under warrantee. Maintenance costs have been reasonable. We're very happy with the vehicle.

Great Ride, Poor Engineering and Quality

DGM , 10/31/2019
GL 550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

First, our GL550 is fun to drive. It is fast and acceleration is great. The beast is quiet inside displays very little road noise and handles beautifully, even on rough surfaces. This is my wife’s vehicle and after 50,000 miles she is ready to say goodbye. After owning luxury brands for 20 years this was our first and, likely, last “Benz.” The BAD: we have replaced the Continental every 15,000 miles and are on our fourth set. The dealership will not provide any mileage warranty on tires it sells for this vehicle. At just over 30,000, we replaced brakes and at 35,000 spent over $1,000 on the suspension for worn out parts. Interval service cost is about $800 which is annoying. The electronics have had issues (short in rear DVD system) and the interface for this year is primitive, our 2011 Ford truck is far better and more intuitive. Finally, don’t expect great fuel economy for the V8, we average 14 mpg.

Don't be fooled by the Mercedes Badge

Carl D, 02/13/2017
GL 550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

The GL550 is quick, looks good, and is made of high quality materials. My sticker was 95K. I enjoyed the vehicle for about 900 miles., but prior to 5k Miles there was over 6k worth of warranty work that included tires, transmission, window seals, and an HVAC smell that was similar to mold. This was my first Mercedes and my hopes were very high. I knew a lot of folks that had E and S series sedans and they mostly had no issues. If you spend the time to look very closely to consumer complaints and ratings of this vehicle you'll soon find out that the quality is sub-par across the board. Maintenance costs, breakdowns, ongoing known issue that should generate recalls but instead generate TB's (Technical Bulletins) that outline the known issues but give the dealership the "flexibility" to address the fix at their own discretion. Take the time to investigate the customer issues and total cost of ownership and you'll find this is a poor choice. I traded mine in at 19200 miles because I just got fed up with the downtime in the shop and all of the overall issues.

2016 GL 450

CorSol, 10/07/2017
GL 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7A)

We have owned this suv for 4 years now. Overall, it is comfortable comfortable, quite, and great to drive. Our only complaint is for 70k the navigation and entertainment system could have been so much better. This is the only shortcoming.