Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Oil leak causes stirring wheel to lock
By NJG

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

With less than 6000 miles on the car has had issues with tire pressure, brakes, warning lights and then mother of all car stopping all together in the middle of a busy rd. due to an oil leak that caused the stirring wheel belt to come off. Dealer took close to 2 hrs to send assistance and cannot figure out where the leak is coming from. I will never ever buy MB. Their service stinks for the money one pays. Anyone even remotely considering this car should really burn their money than risk their children's life in this car.

NONE

stop selling this car if not able to provide the service to customers.

It's OK
By It's OK.

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I've had the wagon for about six months now and it's a good car. I haven't had any problems to speak of. The seats are firm, but not the most comfortable, I could drag a house down the street with this thing, but won't any races, and my mileage is excellent (avg. 21mpg hwy/cty), all typical of a diesel. That said, everything electric about it is inferior to the domestic wagons. The power lift- gate is slow and doesn't always close, the nav. is a pain to use and slow in responding, the rain sensing wipers typically do what they want, even on a sunny day, and the front parking "see dead people" and want to warn me about it. If you're thinking about a 4wd wagon, check out the Flex, cool & cheap.

Sirius/XM radio, windshield washer button, front ambient lighting, the sound of the diesel engine when you punch it, the red button that sometimes closes the lift-gate, the sound of the nav. in Spanish, the white stitching on the black leather interior & dash, big brake pedal, excellent high beams

Quit letting the Germans pick the seat comfort. Why can't we have the base model like the rest of the world? Go back to the mechanical shifter in the center console. I miss the hood ornament, bring that back along with the 80's style driver headrests. Bigger rearview mirrors. Huge blind spots.

The perfect SUV
By Andy

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

This is my wife/family car, we owned this GL320 CDI for more than a year and I love this SUV. Every time I drive it, I enjoy the ride. I drive a 335 convertible, but the handling, feeling and cornering of this truck is incredible. I strongly recommend this vehicle for big families, and if it's diesel more.

Self leveling, paddle shifts, the torque of the engine is incredible. All electric features first quality.

AMG version, navigation not friendly. DVD bad access.

Nice Ride
By Satisfied

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Drive it and you'll likely buy it. It must be the best riding SUV on the market, bar none. Love the Airmatic suspension as it really soaks up the rough roads in PA. Speaking of rough roads, not one rattle. Love that. Have only owned for 1 month, but so far the love affair continues. The 19" Continentals are a bit noisier than the 18" standard Michelins, but this is a very very quiet car. And by car, I mean smooth riding SUV. Very satisfied.

Ride comfort, handles like a much smaller vehicle, interior stitching on black interior, standard features and even 2 years later is still somewhat exclusive. You don't see yourself coming and going.

Better nav, but then again it's German, not Japanese.

I traded my 2007 GL450 for '08 GL550
By hbmciver

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Best decision I made; to upgrade to the GL550. Unless something else comes on the market I can't imagine owning anything else. The MB GL550 has it all, comfort, quality inside and out! I'll trade in 2010 if there are upgrades, otherwise my '08 actually gets better gas mileage hwy than it's rated for. I get 19-21 mpg, and the smoothest ride imaginable!

Smooth ride, quiet, all features, large tires, reliability, concierge service. Acceleration is unreal.

The navigation system could be upgraded.