Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

In love with my GL
By Mb lover

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

We came across the Gl450 looking at the R350. My GL, which was stickered at 70,000 was equiped with pk1 package, keyless go, 2 dual DVD players, trailer hitch, ipod integration kit and 19'' inch wheel package. The GL which gets a 11,000( base price) premium over the R , it's totally beautiful in the exteror is worth it ( although interior dimensions are a bit tighter.) In love with my GL.

Everything

Keyless go is practical- but not so practical and sometimes makes you forget to lock the car.

Love this vehicle!
By summergirl

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Having owned 2 different Lexus SUVs and liking them, I can honestly say that this MB GL 470 is by far the best vehicle I've owned. Just the right size for me. Not big, but roomy; not small, but manageable. It's a gorgeous vehicle, great sound system, incredible grade of leather, lacks nothing. Better on mileage than the Lexus GX I previously owned. It's solid and handsome. I travel to my son's home once a month, which is a 450 mile each way trip and I could not be more comfortable. I absolutely love this car. Cannot recommend it enough!

Aside from the obvious, which is the good looking exterior,my favorite feature is the absolute comfort inside this car and the ease of handling it. It just screams first class.

The only 2 complaints I have are; l. the CD compartment should hold multiple CD's as opposed to only one, and 2: the automatic hatch close does not always completely close. Very often the alert will sound that it is insecurely closed. I have heard other MB owners claim same.

A gas guzzler, but oh it's so sweet!
By fusiondave

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Just had it for about 3 weeks now, and it's so sweet to drive! The exterior styling is gorgeous & although it is a big car, it doesn't look like it. Gas mileage is averaging about 15MPG, but hey, I guess I knew what I was getting into from the getgo. The V8 engine is very quiet, and it seems to be more than adequate to be able to handle the 7000lb weight without any problem. Compared to the X5 I used to drive, it's a little mushy in handling, but it still a joy. The 3rd row seat is great for my kids (the real reason for my purchase). The seats are comfortable all around, and there's plenty of interior space.

The keyless-go option is very convenient.

The iPod integration feature is great, but there was absolutely no documentation on it! The remote garage opener really should not be on the rearview mirror. MB should follow Lexus and move it to the visor, or maybe even down to the dash board.

The Best SUV I've ever owned
By jluna

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Leave it to MB. They hit the nail on the head with this car. I wanted the CDI, but it is not yet available in California. After having owned a Range Rover, a 4Runner and a Cayenne, I can say this is the best SUV out there. If not for the 911 Porsche, probably the best car out there.

Ride is sporty but comfortable. Interior is close to perfect. In the Capri Blue color with a tan interior, it is absolutely gorgeous.

Pricey. Also the navigation system is not so great when compared to the Lexus products.

Excellent Car!
By Mom2Boys

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have had the car for about a month and could not be happier. I have had a couple of Navigators and looked at it again before buying the GL 550 - there was no comparison. Quite simply, this is the best driving car I have ever owned or driven.

The ride is quick and smooth. It is a solid feel with superb handling. Terrific features - so many that you feel quite spoiled in this car. Can operate so many features from the steering wheel. I love rear camera and front/rear sensors.

As others have said, the side mirrors could be larger. They leave a blind spot. A/C seats is one feature the Navigator has and I wish this one did as well. Otherwise, I cannot think of thing to add to this dream machine.